living in a motor home

franki

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me on this matter.

We recently sold our home in the UK and yes we have a home in Spain but we will want to be in the UK quite often. I have to take quite alot of medication and we wont have an address, we have family living in the UK has anyone else faced this problem and how we can overcome it. We do intend to buy again but not at this moment!!we just intend to travel around in our motorhome until we find the right area to live!!!

Thanks Sandi (Franki's other half)

Hi Franki

Interesting, are you intending to keep Spain as your main address for a while? If so, whatever you do DO NOT tell the UK medical profession that! They could cut you off at the knees, they're taking a very dim view of people who have 'retired' to Spain and other European countries and then come back here for treatment to save having to pay for it (if required) abroad. I know you say you will be looking for a new abode in the UK but until you have one it could prove tricky for you.

As you no longer have a UK home address you may find that not only may you have difficulties with health care but also with insurance etc, etc. You really need to arrange to have a new home address in the UK, be it a member of the family, friend etc, so that you can put something officially on the various paperwork you need to complete and also so that the insurance etc companies have an address to send your bits and pieces to.

There are a few people on the forum who 'full-time' in their motorhomes but most (if not all) of them at least still own a property in the UK. Hopefully someone will be along shortly to advise on your precise situation.

franki - 2008-07-19 8:25 AM

Hi just wondering if anyone can help me on this matter.

We recently sold our home in the UK and yes we have a home in Spain but we will want to be in the UK quite often. I have to take quite alot of medication and we wont have an address, we have family living in the UK has anyone else faced this problem and how we can overcome it. We do intend to buy again but not at this moment!!we just intend to travel around in our motorhome until we find the right area to live!!!

Thanks Sandi (Franki's other half)

Hi Sandi,

Have a look at http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/80/136/

Don

Hi Mel

Thanks for your advice. We only had our home in UK on the market for a week and it sold. We had already decided to come to Spain for a few weeks, but we need to go back to run the company in August so we are staying at Kingsbury Water Park. We shall try and look what is available. I have had most things diverted to my daugher!!!

Bye from a very hot day in Spain

Sandi

You need to be very careful, and check very thoroughly.  It is more than a matter of having a UK contact address.  It is a matter of where you have residency.  It could be argued that since you are not in UK, and have sold your UK home, you have, de facto, left the UK.  Probably won't be a problem unless you have the misfortune to end up in hospital, and someone notices the missing UK address.  However, if it all goes pear shaped you could, possibly, become liable for all your hospital foreign costs, so do your homework very, very, thoroughly!

Archived