Farnborough - cheaper by motorhome than car

Brock

Just been to the Air Show. A colleague of mine did the same trip by car with our sons. His fuel bill for the 500 mile round trip was £35 less than mine and his journey time two hours less. Seems a convincing case that the car was cheaper.

However, we saved £26 on the cost of hot food and drink because we cooked in the van. Cold food and drink was probably the same. We just had a better selection.

My colleague stayed in a Travel Lodge for a night at £50, we slept in the van at the Air Show entrance. We only needed 4 hours of sleep so we could argue we only saved £25.

Financial savings for me over my colleague totalled £16. The ability to view the air display from the front seats of the van with tea and biscuits on tap, the relaxing drive in the motorhome, the extra wash and brush up we managed to keep us fresh, and the change of clothing we had, made the van a far better option.

Next time we'll tell each other we're going and share the van ...

The Air Show was its usual outstanding self. At £28 for an adult ticket, it seems pricey but we had 12 hours of entertainment in a wonderful environment and with no bad language. Compare that with the cost of football! This was the first time my son, studying aero engineering, had seen the Vulcan in flight. His comment? "Awesome".

Archived