Flat screen TV

afandy

Hi ....I'm after a 15 " flat screen TV for my Motorhome...just wondered if its worth buying from the likes of supermarkets or just shopping around for the cheapest....I know the obvious answer is find the cheapest ....But my point is....Caravan accessory shops seem so expensive although i realise they are 12volt as well ..Are they any better apart from that....Are they built any stronger...say for example the screen fixing base.....Dont want to buy the cheapest and then find it falls apart after one trip ..Your opinions please would be a help...

The main thing is are you always going to be one mains hook up if not, it is best to get a 12V so you are restricting your self to electric, we have had our flat screen for a couple of years now and it does seem quite robust, any chance of going to one of the motorhome shows you can often do a good deal there, you can get them now with free view built in and dvd - its a matter of how much and how you are going to use them. but we certainly have been pleased with our 12v one. Carol.

You'll get a lot more choice by buying a 'normal' flat screen TV and then also getting an inverter to run it off, it will also be a heck of a lot cheaper than a dedicated 12v TV. The advantage is that you can also use the inverter for other things, like re-charging batteries, your razor etc. The quality of TVs doesn't seem to come into it really, you get what you pay for, just because it's can be run of 12v doesn't mean it is any better built than a standard 230v TV, you are just paying for the 12v gubbings on top of the price of the TV.

Flat screen TVs do vary on quality of picture though, you can get some really cheap 230v ones, around £120-ish but the picture can be awful and the sound can also be horrible. If going for a widescreen TV make sure that you can adjust the picture to the size of a standard TV programme, (ie non-widescreen) otherwise it might stretch the picture to fit and you end up watching short dumpy images all the time which really does your head in as your brain constantly keep trying to make them look 'normal'!

Its worth pointing out that most 15" LCD TVs are 12 volt powered with a 240V AC to 12V DC converter in the power lead. Therefore you can get one pretty much anywhere that will do the job nicely. If you do decide to run it from 12 Volts use a stabilizer like the Amperor unit 'cos most TVs don't like much over 12 Volts and if your battery is fully charged or you have a solar panel it could be up around 14 volts.

D.

Guest peter
Ones without the 12Volt block are cheaper. I got one for my boat from Asda for £85.00 and use a 150Watt inverter. But downside is it's 4:3 aspect ratio, which is o/k. Depends on whether you want 4:3 or 16:9. (widescreen)

Archived