Vibration of vehicle.

SAS

I have just come back from a w/e in Lincoln and have noticed a strange creaking noise from the body and vibration inside the motorhome. The bathroom door is rattling more than usual and the vibration seems to be radiating all through the motorhome but more at the back. It seems to be handling normally and everything else appears OK...any ideas as to what it could be? The motorhome is a 2002 Boxer 2.8HDi Autosleeper Talisman.

SAS, I would check your rear tyres immediately as that is the same senario I had just prior to my blow out on the M20 whilst travelling at 65 to 70 mph. The cause in my case was not visible when I left home approx 1.5 hours earlier, at which time I had checked the tyre pressures and a quick visual of the (new) tyres, and was caused by the tread seperating from the carcass in the centre tread sections and was not easily visible.

My advice would be to thoroughly check your tyres.

Bas

Like the others say check your tyres. Have you recently clipped a curb and bent a wheel, not very likely but it can happen, and check your wheel nuts/studs. As it is not rear wheel drive it will not be your prop shaft which is the usual cause of rear vibration.

It sounds like there is a bulge in a tyre and this is typically due to age. They are possibly still the originals and at least six years old. Best practice is to replace after five or six years irrespective of wear.

Best done sooner rather than later as the energy content in tyres means prices are certain to rise.

Thanks chaps. I changed the nearside rear tyre as it looked as though it had a small bulge in it but it hasn`t cured it, so I phoned Charles at Autosleepers and am taking it in on Monday. He thinks the wedges in the luton may need tightening. (wedges?!) Anyways I`ll keep you posted.

If you have an awning Autosleepers have wedges between the awning and the curve of the fibre glass body to make a neat fit. Perhaps those are the wedges he is talking about????????????It sounds like he will cure the problem.........Hope so, Cheers for now............

Have you checked the inside walls of the tyres? You do this by running your hand over them, looking for bulges or for sharp bits, which are broken reinforcing wires. I had the same symptoms prior to one of my rear tyres loosing its tread and was told to do this check every time I checked the tyres pressures.

Have got back from Autosleepers and they have solved the problem. It wasn`t the tyres it was the black rim or lip that runs above the cab doors and under the luton. It was rubbing against the body work causing the creaky squeaking noise. They have put foam wedges between this and the body under the luton to stop it creaking. It hasn`t stopped the vibration but I think that was probably my imagination and the van has always vibrated that much in the back 8-)

Archived