Scooting/Trailing

alanmac

If at first you don't succeed !

I am thinking of buying a scooter but recent articles warning of the danger of overloading vehicle are making me think again. I have a trailer but really don't want to tow it as I will not be able to see it and reverse easily. We use French Aires extensively and need to be able to shunt around in them to get parked when busy .

In France 2 weeks ago I saw a van with a single wheel trailer. It was hitched at 2 points on the front and no articulation was possible. It was carrying a scooter,fastened front to rear on an incline. He backed up into a layby and shot off again before I had a chance to talk. Reversing was easy (no articulation) and the rear wheel followed where led, or pushed !

I seem to recall many years ago there were similar luggage trailers for camping gear which when attached to cars, and because of their directional rigidity were exempt from speed limits and allowed in the 3rd lane of motorways.

The internet has many examples suitable for motorbikes but I can't find any suitable for 'van use.

Does anyone have any information on this type of trailer please

I have seen something similar at a couple of shows in 2007, but don,t forget that the van still has half the weight of the scooter and the trailer on the back. The big advantage is that you need less brain to reverse compared to a single ball hitch trailer.

C.

I race a motorcycle and tow it on a trailer. It is not so difficult. Assuming your van has a rear window one of the stick on Fresnel lenses mean you can see it all the time. I am not a great reverser either but if you fit a jockey wheel it is easy to disconnect and move the trailer into place. It has been said before but the big advantage of a trailer is that it does not put to much weight on the back of the van which to me was the overiding criteria.

Archived