Crossing Spain from west to east

sailor girl

We're heading south in a few weeks for our big trip round Europe and I wondered if anyone might have some advice re the route, before we get anything set in stone.

We're spending a week in Newquay and then planning to cross from Poole to Cherbourg, go down the west coast of France and head for Bilbao/Santander. From there, we want to go over to the Barcelona area and head down the east coast of Spain. As we're in a big van and we're fairly new to it (and I'm not keen on roads that wind precariously round the tops of mountains) is there a route that we should take that is fairly flat? I don't want to go hundreds of miles out of our way, but definitely don't want to take a white-knuckle route either.

Any thoughts very gratefully received.

Liz

I have done it lots of times, different routes etc., just avoid the minor mountain passes and you are fine. It's very boring though, the Spanish plains are rather flat and BIG.

I would advise stopping at a few interesting town and cities for the night, it breaks up the journey. Pamplona is a good place to visit, go in on the bus, it's a lot easier.

Geoff

Archived