Camping Gaz cylinders

dragonflyer

Apologies for going over old ground, but the search facility does not help.

We have decided to dig out our old BBQ and gaz cylinders. However we are unable to decide how much gas we have left in any of them. The bottle swishes when shaken, so there is obviously something left.

I have tried to find out the answer on the general web with no luck.

How much does an empty 907 cylinder weigh, or alternatively how much does a full one weigh when it contains 2.75kg of butane?

We thought that using the Camping Gaz cylinder would eke out our gas supply when in Europe, especially after we found out the cost of the gas cartridges for our little gas ring when we were in France in June.

Thanks in anticipation

Joyce

Thank you all for your replies.

now we know that it weighs 8lb when empty and 14lb full, we can make some assumptions on gas remaining.

When I said we had dug them out, I do mean from a long, long time ago - probably 15 years since we used the BBQ. The cylinders although they have stamped markings do not have a gross weight as far as my husband and I could see. I have checked since receiving the helpful replies and am still unable to find the information.

We have a wonderful old Guardsman aluminium BBQ which we bought in Saundersfoot (nr Tenby) in 1980 for £70, a very expensive item at the time. I think it is about time that the hose was changed too.

Thanks again.

Joyce

PS: On our scales the new cylinder weighs 14.6lbs

My 907 cylinder is date-stamped "03-90" (March 1990) so it's no Spring Chicken.

There's no Gross Weight given, but the white Campingaz 'panel' on the container's side, that identifies the canister as a Type 907 and provides safety instructions, also says "GB NETT 2.72kg" to indicate the maximum weight of butane gas it contains when filled.

The weight of the canister itself (3.70kg in the case of my bottle) when empty is stamped into the side of the base. There's a clearly defined data-section "BUT. 3.00kg C.6.02L.T.", followed by the figures "3.70" impressed into the metal before the letters "kg". The "3.70" is quite faint - much less clear than the other information - and I can imagine on some old bottles that have taken a good bashing (or have been over-painted) may be hard to distinguish.

Archived