Old van, new owner

Flying Snail

I've recently taken on a G registration,1990, Renault Holdsworth Rainbow. I have been reading MMM for years and now realise that I know nothing about how fridges work. The only info with the van is a sheet about the ignition system for an Electolux RM122, dated June 1985

Basically I need to know, does this operate on both gas and electric; there is a switch under the dash for refridgerator On/Off; or gas alone? Is the switch just to support the ignition spark? Do I only turn on the gas when I'm parked up for a longish time? I'm sure that it won't be on overnight so will the fridge keep it's cool?

8-)

Good evening Flying Snail, I think you should join the Holdsworth Owners Club. I am a member of the H.O.C. although I no longer have a Holdsworth. I had a Holdsworth Ranger on a rear wheek drive Renault Trafic. Not all of the members still have Holdsworths as they were taken over by another company. Richard Holdsworth comes to most of our rallys. It only costs £12 a year to belong, Chairman is Iain Mackinnan email machinnonsouth@aol.com Secretary Chris Chamberlain email ethelchamberlain@aol.com The Chairman is one of the owners who has a Rainbow, so he can tell you anything your want to know about the Rainbow, his is an "L" reg. Cheers for now, see you in a field somewhere, sometime....David

Hi Flying Snail, I couln't help on your particular fridge and came on to say how mine worked but Ranger got there first. ..... so I'll just say welcome and I hope you have many happy years of motorhoming.... Joy

Hi again Flying Snail, as best as I can remember about the fridge in my Holdsworth Ranger is:- Looking at the front the right hand side switch was a three position switch 'gas', '240volts' & '12volts' the switch on the dash board was to switch it on for running of the engine alternater when you are en route. When you are stopped on an electric site run it on 240V, if you are not on an electric hook-up site run it on gas. As far as I can remember there was a press button igniter on the front of the fridge. My Ranger was younger than your Rainbow so may not be the same. Iain will be able to give you the answers I expect.

Hi don't know if you know but Renault have a brilliant club for motorhomes based on them when we had our Eriba based on a Renault we had a lot of help very knowlegable people and friendly as well. there details are in the MMM in the clubs section. Carol.

Archived