gower peninsula

sundance kid

Hi Mike, the Gower is not a good place to take a motorhome, very narrow roads, you can park at Rhosili out at the end of the Gower in the car park for the day and cycle from there. The roads are all very narrow that is why one rarely sees anyone cycling or walking aound the Gower. If you cycle to the Gower from Gowerton CC site go along the North Gower raod that one is not too bad surface and width wise. A good day out is to take the 'van c/w bikes to Pembrey Country Park lots to do there. People mainly go to the Gower to spend a day on a beach, it is said to be a place of "outstanding natural beauty" that is if you don't live here, and work here. I was a Coastguard here for most of my working life. so spent a lot of time rushing around on "Blues & twos" rescueing people from the sea and cliffs.

Hi

Pembrey Country park is excellent with a large number of activities. You can cycle on a coast path-traffic free , for miles. There is also a forest bike ride where you dont haave to see anyone all day ! There is a car park just before you get to the main entrance to the park which is free. Maps can be downloaded from sustran and info regarding park from the visitor's centre. good luck and happy cycling

Hi again Mike, there is a beautiful CC Site at Pembrey Country Park, perhaps you could change your booking for that one. I think it comes under the name of Burryport as Burryport and Pembrey more or less touch each other. Years ago Pembrey Country Park was huge bomb factory that is why the forest is there to hide all the bomb dumps from spying aircraft. There was a main railway line into it, it is very flat country for miles around. It is a lovelly Park, the big 'blue flag beach' is about 5 miles long and very clean, called 'Cefn Siden' which in English means Silk Ribbon. Enjoy your stay, cheers, David .............

Hi Mike, Good thinking, if you Google 'Pembrey Country Park Carmathenshire', it will come up with loads of information about the ski slope, cafes, walks, cycle routes, Golf ( Very big 'pitch & Putt' ), horse riding, etc; they do not mention the nudist area of the beach, we Coastguards were forbiden to drive through it with our Landrover when on routine patrol. You can also cycle through the Llanelli Millenium Park, mainly lakes and wild water dwelling birds ie ducks and geese etc. If you like castles there is a well preserved castle 20 minutes cycle ride from the park CC site. There is a good fish & chip shop 10 minutes ride away from the site. If you fancy making your trip to Wales a 2 stop holiday have a look at the Dan-yr-Ogof Caves, very good caravan site. www.showcaves.co.uk, lovelly place to stop over for a couple of days on your way down. If I am still around next year might see you, can't ride a bike any more, getting dangerously close to 80.

Hi, it is not essential to use the CC site at Pembrey. Just beyond the entrance to the park is a massive touring field with taps and dunnies. This is used mainly by clubs. The CCC have a THS (Temporary Holiday Site) most years in August on this field. We spent a glorious week there last year and paid £11 per night, the CC site is around £25 in peak season if you have a sprog or two...

Obviously you need to be a CCC member but you will get your membership fee back in 3 nights!!

Stunning location - never knew it was an old bomb factory though! 8-)

Hi Oldlowie from Zunny Zomerzet where the zider apples grow! Yes we in the West Wales Centre of the Caravan Club rally there a few times a year. Like you say has all one needs but no electric hook-ups. Any one can take group there as long as the Council has a name and address of person in charge, you also get a card to get in & out of the gate for a small returnable deposit. Happy camping!!!!!!!

Many thanks to all for your replies.

Our daughter is getting married on the August Bankholiday and we were hoping to get a few days away. On the basis of your advice we feel we need more time to do it justice especially having to travel from Lincolnshire.

We will both be retired next year so can go off peak and stay as long as we wish.

Regards to all.

Mike.

I've been retired for 19 years............no time to do anything...........but I never seem to stop. I was better off working 12 hour watches, 2 days, 2 nights, 4days off.............So when you retire Mike plan it all better than I do.

Archived