Increasing turbo boost

nwsxp50

It is possible but be warned, inceasing turbo boost also increases cylinder temperature, and could easily melt the piston tops or damage the cylinder head. There are other reasons why you don't want to mess with the manufacturers settings.

Best option is to have the engine "chipped" or remapped, this will increase the power but keep within the narrow band of safety.

Geoff

Now Simon I think you should listen very carefully to the advice given above.

How many race engines have you now got through this year? Three I think and you cant blame me because I always drive your race car nicely!

Reliability above out right power wins very time even with a motorhome.

Be carefull who you use to remap the engine, I had mine remapped at the Lincoln show, and it reduced my MPG & lost power am having heck of a job getting it put right, best bet would be to go to a recognised Fiat dealer who can do it properly.

Tony

I am no expert but from what my son says who is bit of a diesel head - most turbos can be tweaked a bit without problems - BUT - as said above reliability can be a problem - especially if the turbo spools down without oil when you turn the engine off. So if you boost the pressure you need a slave pump to keep the thing lubricated as it spools down.

He says one of the best ways to get more power is to fit a bigger and more efficient intercooler to ensure nice cold air (more 02) is burnt rather than hot air that has far less O2 - this is the reason why most TD's feel breathless.

There are many things you can do but as the old saying says - Just because you can does not mean that you should. My son does it because he has fun and seems to know what he is doing.

Personally if I want more power I buy a vehicle with a bigger engine not tweak a less powerful one - the reliability of which is sure to be compromised as would be any warranty.

Archived