Shell Island

kelly58

kelly58 - 2008-07-28 5:33 PM

We are planning a trip to North Wales in August " Snowdonia " and Anglesey I have heard of Shell Island and how nice it is ,but have no idea where it is.

If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated  Kelly

It's just a few miles south of Harlech.I seem to recall that we turned off the A492 at Llanbedr.

www.shellisland.co.uk/ and www.shellislandcampers.co.uk/.

See the forum of the latter. Be advised that, in common with many other sites within the National Park, Shell Island only has a tent licence. The workaround is that motorhomes are allowed on provided you erect a tent which you 'must' use to sleep in!

It is true that only tents are allowed , and motorhomes are used only for transportation, but, thankfully this restriction is not upheld, and you can camp on the island in a motorhome.

I suggest you Google shell island to find out all it has to offer, the unofficial shell island web site is particulary informative. Like many sites around the country, this one is best out of main holiday periods, and their 20 metre rule where no one is allowed pitch closer than that is very welcome.

The tide tables are on display, but rarley cause problems in the summer months. The island is perfect for the self contained motorhomer as the toilet/ washroom facilities are very " tired" but the well stocked shop and take away and pub are ideal as the site is fairly remote. chas

Stayed on Shell Island last month for 1 night. £14 for two adults (£6 each) and dog (£2) No problem with motorhomes. Portacabin toilets dotted around site. Toilet and shower block by entrance. (didn't use always looked busy) Hook-up available at certain points, didn't ask price. Can get windy but you can get out of wind behind the sand dunes.

Mike H.

Archived