1998 VW Compass Calypso

n4lucan

We recently purchased a VW Compass Calypso & are very happy with it.We received very little literature, as the elderly gentleman selling could not locate relevent booklets.

The on board Zig Unit is a Marque 2, have contacted Zig in UK (We live in Ireland) but not much help there.

Can anyone help with literature.

I've got a rather ratty Compass Motorhome Owners Handbook that's probably of late 1990s vintage. It's got a Calypso 12V wiring diagram in it and a couple of pages about Zig X-Series battery chargers and the Zig Mk IV control-panel.

I think my 1996-built Compass/Herald had a Zig Mk II control-panel and that this was a less 'fully-featured' version of the Mk IV. I don't remember there being anything particularly tricky or controversial about the Herald's control-panel, so what sort of information were you looking for, please?

Many thanks for response, the only literature we have is on the fridge (RM4213 - Electrolux).The Carver water heater we are unsure of and so won't use.The Zig I think is staightforward enough, but would still like something written. both switches on zig set to aux (aux battery?)We also have a Status roof aerial....how do we watch TV?..there are 2 aerial connections 12V & about 3 switched sockets.

I looked on Explorer Group website but archived brochures only go back to year 2000.

If it were possible I could copy the Owners Manual & post back to you.

Any help appreciated.

nlucan:

OK - thy need is clearly greater than mine.

If you click on the PM box at the bottom of this posting and send me a Private Message giving me an address I can post the handbook to, then you are very welcome to it.

The booklet includes information on Carver water and air heaters, the RM4213 fridge, etc. so it should be useful. The Zig details are a bit light on detail (no pictures or drawings sadly) and don't seem to mention a control-panel with two "Aux" switches. (Nevertheless, having the switches on your Calypso's Zig-unit in the Auxiliary Battery position is undoubtedly correct.)

Nothing much on TVs I'm afraid, but, essentially, if your TV is mains-powered you'd plug it into a mains socket, or into a 12V socket if it's a 12V-powered TV, and you'd plug the TV's aerial lead into an aerial connection. My Herald was fitted with a signal-booster as standard (which was pretty common practice), which might explain why your Calypso has two aerial connections.

You don't say if you are new to motorcaravanning, but, if so, it would be worth you obtaining John Wickersham's "The Motorcaravan Manual" (Haynes Publishing) as this provides a valuable, easy to understand, overview of the technical side of motorhomes.

I am afraid that all our books went with the van when it was sold. Hope you enjoy the vehicle. We had 2 over about 10 years and would have bought a third if they hadn't stopped making it when the T4 finished production. We hung on thinking that maybe they would put the body on perhaps a Renault or similar but it didn't happen. Good luck with it.

Try the Compass & Herald Motorhomers club, there should be an address in a copy of MMM. When we were members of the Compass Owners Club (caravans & motorhomes) I remember there were quite a few Calypso owners in the 1990's, maybe someone there can help.

We do enjoy the vehicle, its sheer luxury compaired to previous vans we've owned.....started off with a 1972 T2 VW pop-top, then 1981 T3 VW Hi-top, then 1993 T4 VW Hi-top but we enjoyed them all.... now at an age where we just want a bit of comfort.

Thanks again for the communication.

The T4-based Calypso was on our shopping-list at one stage, before we eventually chose a Herald. MMM published a couple of pieces on this model in the April 2002 and March 2004 issues, but I've got neither so I can't say how useful they'd be. There also seem to be a few owners participating on the MotorHomeFacts forum.

My only firm negative recollection of the vehicle involves its marriage of a substantial coachbuilt body to a short-wheelbase softly-sprung chassis resulting in sensitivity to strong winds and producing a fair amount of body-roll during cornering. From what I recall, a common remedy involved fitting auxiliary coil-springs (from the M.A.D range) to stiffen the rear suspension and a Calypso owner who had done this (he said it was easy) told me it had transformed the handling.

(I've a vague feeling that I've read somewhere that the standard rear springs on this VW chassis have a reputation for failure, but Graham (or George Collings) may be able to deny/confirm this based on practical experience.)

We had no problems with the springs and I found it very comfortable to drive. I accept that we were not pushing the performance envelope and so body roll was never a problem. I think that the 'soft springs' gave a more comfortable drive than our Boxer. Our first Calypso was the 2.4 and our only problem was the squealing fan belt fixed in a French VW garage for £10. We replaced it after 5 years with a 2.5 turbo and had no problem over another 5 years with the VW bit- even the servicing at a VW van centre was a reasonable cost. I thought the Calypso was very good and was amazed when it was dropped from the range.

I think Explorer Group just decided to prune their production variety root and branch and concentrate solely on a restricted range of Compass/Elddis-badged vehicles all based on the Peugeot Boxer. So no Explorer Group VWs or Fords nowadays, though I notice that the Calypso name lives on.

I am sure you are right. They had a problem when the T4 ceased but initially I was sure that they would continue production on a different chassis as I thought the Calypso was the best vehicle they made. I would have bought one but there again what do I know. The current Calypso is not the same thing at all.

Derek,

The Owners Manual arrived today, thank you so much.Will bring into work tomorrow & photocopy.

If you send me a PM with your address, will post it back to you.

One further thing......we have an extract canopy with light over the cooking hob, is this extract unit 24V or Mains? have tried to switch on in "parked" mode, but without success.(Maybe its Mains).

Kind Regards & again our thanks.

The extractor as fitted is 12volt and runs off the leisure battery. I can't remember how the internal control panel is configured but switched to the van battery the fan should work. If it doesn't then it could be a fuse, the switch or it could be broken.

Archived