Peeling ceiling joints.

Garf

Hi,

I'm after a little bit of advice, hope you can help me.

I've noticed that some motorhome ceilings have semi-circular mouldings over the joints in the ceiling panels; my motorhome has just simple glued on strips. These strips are starting come away at the edges, I would have thought due to heat buildup in the 'van and the glue becoming unsticky. Is there a way of re-gluing the strips down, or a glue recommendation?

Thank you.

I've had the same problem with these "sticky back" strips.

I've tried to get them to stick again with my wife's hairdryer (but be careful of the heat) and a wallpaper seam roller. I don't think this is the complete solution but it certainly looks better.

I think that long term, new strips from the manufacturer will be the answer. Could be this will have to be done every three or four years.

Good luck

Sandy

Clear UHU glue in a tube is good for this sort of thing. It is quite good in that it can be used in two ways i.e. can be used as 'Impact' adhesive very thin coating on both sides and left to dry before pressing together or it can be used slightly thicker and held together until set. I tremains flexible and as it is clear any excess is not easily seen.

Bas

Thanks for your advice.

I think it'll need to be a glue that will stick and hold on contact rather than having to hold it down whilst the glue dries.

I'm off to the shops then...

Cheers

Garf - 2008-07-30 2:05 PM

Hi,

I'm after a little bit of advice, hope you can help me.

I've noticed that some motorhome ceilings have semi-circular mouldings over the joints in the ceiling panels; my motorhome has just simple glued on strips. These strips are starting come away at the edges, I would have thought due to heat buildup in the 'van and the glue becoming unsticky. Is there a way of re-gluing the strips down, or a glue recommendation?

Thank you.

Many years ago I used to work for a Company that made these things - they are called Plastic Extrusions - for the Caravan Industry. When they were sent out in batches the Caravan Manufacturers used to apply the double-sided tape, but to my mind it was never really very successful after prolonged heat exposure and it had to be re-applied many times.

There is now a double-sided tape on the market for sticking mirror tiles etc and therefore is a heavyduty tape which should be perfect for the job. Hope it helps.

Archived