very wide postings

wints

Not m/home based I know, but occassionally some postings are wider than my screen. This also happens on other forums. Is this something that I can control, possibly alter some setting somewhere, or is it the poster ?

regards

Allen

So far as I know, Allen, there are two causes.

1. Large photographs which exceed the width of the "normal" box.

2. Long URLs which are not contained in code which replaces them with a shorter description.

Both are within the control of the person posting the message but, once posted, I don't think any viewer can do anything about it - though a moderator may well be able to edit the post.

Graham

wints - 2008-07-31 11:50 AM Not m/home based I know, but occassionally some postings are wider than my screen. This also happens on other forums. Is this something that I can control, possibly alter some setting somewhere, or is it the poster ? regards Allen

You could increase the display setting to a higher definition.  If you're experiencing this problem it sounds as though your monitor is set to something like 800 x 600 pixels.

J9withdogs - 2008-07-31 12:30 PM I've noticed that the left-hand 'Profile' side of the page has widened recently - is everyone else's the same?

Looks the same to me but then again I'm viewing it on a 1680 x 1050 pixel screen which gives me 4" of white space either side of web page :-) :-)

I have a display setting of 1024 x 768 on this machine (default for the setup I have as far as I can remember). That normally gives me an inch and a half or so of white at either side of the display on this forum (which is the same width as the Out&AboutLive banner at the top).

When a thread contains a wide photo - e.g. like This One then the banner stays the same width and moves to the left, the panel below the banner increases in size to more that the width of the screen and it is necessary to scroll right to see all of the posting.

Not a problem though - the current settings work for the vast majority of sites and the odd bit of scrolling doesn't matter to me. What tends to annoy me more are the minority of web sites which I visit which demand a Text Size setting of Medium. Smaller is the default on my machine so it means that I have to go in and change the setting to be able to read them.

Graham

GJH - 2008-07-31 12:00 PM So far as I know, Allen, there are two causes. 1. Large photographs which exceed the width of the "normal" box. 2. Long URLs which are not contained in code which replaces them with a shorter description. Both are within the control of the person posting the message but, once posted, I don't think any viewer can do anything about it - though a moderator may well be able to edit the post. Graham

Interesting, I have never seen any 'wide' postings so was interested in what you have to say. then blow me, I clicked on the thread on Solar and there it was a wide posting!

I think white space is to do with the web coding. It allows the center portion to float in the center of the screen regardless of the width of the screen. I use 1400 X 1050 Pixels and full screen give me about 4 inches each side.

" Wide" postings are as said too larger photo or web address, Both should be trapped when posted and either reduced in size (Photo pixel width) or recognise the length of the word string containing the address and cut it up.

Both methods can put quite a load on a heavy Web server running the postings then people would complain about response times.

'Orses for 'ourses as my Dad used to say (generally with out his teeth in)

rgds

Archived