road tax

stevie reay

We are going traveling around Europe in October of this year and may be gone for well over a year as we have no time scale to stick to. Our Tax disc will run out at the end of July 2009, how do we renew it if we are still in Europe at the time. Have tried to ring DVLA but am always put on hold or get an answer machine message to call back another time.

Had a similar promblem with my car and the way I got round it was to buy six months tax so that the annual tax was due at a more convenient time. I suppose it will depend on how often you are abroad for that to work for you.

David

If you go online, you can renew there up to one month before. Although it will go to your home address, it will be taxed on the computer system and that will be fine. Only problem you MAY encounter is failing to display, which under the circumstances of you being not in the country but had retaxed the vehicle, i dont think there should be a problem! It is the benefit of computerisation nowadays.

Rainbow-Chasers' - 2008-08-04 10:46 PM

If you go online, you can renew there up to one month before. Although it will go to your home address, it will be taxed on the computer system and that will be fine. Only problem you MAY encounter is failing to display, which under the circumstances of you being not in the country but had retaxed the vehicle, i dont think there should be a problem! It is the benefit of computerisation nowadays.

Hi,

That will work as long as no MOT is involved.

It is possible to renew your VED three months in advance if you are going abroad. We did this once and it can be done by visiting your local DVLA office.

Don

You can renew your tax disc at any time, surrendering the existing one for a refund (you get most of the money back by post from DVLA Swansea). Provided the MoT and Insurance are valid when you renew, there should be no problem. This gives you over 11 months' cover.

However, if needed, the MoT is due on the usual date. The only answer to this is to make a trip back to Blighty. If you were involved in an accident without a valid MoT, your insurance would probably be cancelled.

Mel E

====

Archived