Calling all bright sparks!

DonB

If I used a 12V regulator to supply a 14" LCD TV would it take a lot less out of the battery than using a 150watt inverter? If so can anybody tell me what type of regulator I would need and possibly a supplier's name?

You can get regulated 12 volt input power supplies from most car accessory outlets, we use one for the laptop as it needs a fairly consistant supply, so when the alternator is running and putting out 14.8 volts then the supply output from the regulated unit stays at a constant 12 volts.

If I remember, we paid about £25.00 from one of the shows.

Also, the one we bought is a multi plug multi voltage (8 - 19v).

Hope this helps, I'm pretty sure the drain on your battery would be less using this as opposed to an inverter.

Hi Don, as a rough estimate and from my own tests you would use about 15-20% more power to run the TV through the inverter than by using a voltage stabiliser. The Amperor unit is one of the best known in the leisure market and retails at around £40. They're available either directly from Amperor or via Roadpro or any of their agents (myself included :D ), probably from a few other agents as well.

D.

I am puzzled by the need to use a voltage regulator, my 12v LCD TV runs straight off the 12v socket (and my sat receiver etc) whether or not the engine is running. I haven't had any problems with this arrangement.

13.8v would be an approximate figure for the maxiumum voltage on charge from the enigine so should be OK for a nominal 12v TV.

Perhaps you need to up the voltage from a low battery, but again my TV will work down to about 10v without problems, and at 10v it's about time for a charge.

Of course if you are running a 40" plasma screen thats a whole new ballgame!

Geoff

hallii - 2008-08-05 7:13 PM

I am puzzled by the need to use a voltage regulator, my 12v LCD TV runs straight off the 12v socket (and my sat receiver etc) whether or not the engine is running. I haven't had any problems with this arrangement.

13.8v would be an approximate figure for the maxiumum voltage on charge from the enigine so should be OK for a nominal 12v TV.

Perhaps you need to up the voltage from a low battery, but again my TV will work down to about 10v without problems, and at 10v it's about time for a charge.

Of course if you are running a 40" plasma screen thats a whole new ballgame!

Geoff

Then you are one of the lucky ones. Many 12V TVS don't have voltage regulation built in and rely on the power "brick" to give a regulated 12volt output. These types of set can be irreparably damaged by plugging them in to the vehicle's 12Volt system, therefore it is generally considered safer to err on the side of caution and use a regulator.

D.

Randonneur - 2008-08-06 8:57 AM

Does this happen only to 12v LCD TVs? Our is a 15" LCD TV/DVD mains only and we run it through a 300 watt inverter when not on EHU. Should we be taking any precautions?

There will usually be a transformer inside the set, this saves having unsightly ac-dc converters next to the telly.

Then you are one of the lucky ones. Many 12V TVS don't have voltage regulation built in and rely on the power "brick" to give a regulated 12volt output. These types of set can be irreparably damaged by plugging them in to the vehicle's 12Volt system, therefore it is generally considered safer to err on the side of caution and use a regulator.

D.

Hi Dave, sorry to but in, my t.v has a regulator (power brick) would it be possible to take the 3 pin plug/lead our and use a 12 volt plug/lead and run it straight from the 12 volt socket?

pete

breakaleg - 2008-08-06 3:30 PM

D.

Hi Dave, sorry to but in, my t.v has a regulator (power brick) would it be possible to take the 3 pin plug/lead our and use a 12 volt plug/lead and run it straight from the 12 volt socket?

pete

Errr no, the "power brick" is a mains to dc transformer/converter unit not a DC to DC converter.

D.

Archived