Where is the Fuel Gauge sender

4petedaniel

Pete:

I've no in-depth knowledge of the VW T4 or the A-S Clubman, but I'm sure normal expectation would be for the sender-unit to be inserted into the fuel tank through a sealable opening in the tank's upper surface.

On my 1995 VW Golf there's a removable 'plate' in the car's boot-floor that allows access to the area of the fuel tank's top where the opening is. You remove the plate, disconnect fuel lines and electrical wiring, unscrew a sealing ring and then lift out the sender-unit and fuel pump.

My 2005 Ford Transit-based motorhome appears to have a somewhat similar arrangement. However, although it's possible to see what looks like a sealing cap on the tank's upper surface if you crawl under the vehicle, it's certainly not possible to get at that cap without first unbolting and lowering the fuel tank. There's no access 'hatch' in the vehicle's floor above the fuel tank.

If you need to lower or completely remove your Clubman's fuel tank to reach the sender, then it would be wise to be as near as dammit certain that it's the sender that's faulty (I assume you've got a fuel-gauge problem rather than just curiosity!) Getting a fuel tank off can be tricky - in fact, on one of my cars it was impossible without performing major mechanical amputation first.

Best of luck.

Sorry if my previous reply seemed a bit flippant. Assuming you have a fuel gauge fault I'd suggest you look at the PCB of the instrument panel first as T4s are known for bad solder joints there causing problems. If it is the sender unit in the fuel tank remember to make sure the tank is almost empty when you come to drop it.

D.

Hi Pete.

Dave is as usual right. I published a item on the T4 gauges problem some years ago in Interchange and will look it up and e- mail it to you complete with pics tomorrow. I doubt it the sender which appears well engineered but the PC boards were poor.

On a standard T4 there is an access hole though the floor to get at the sender unit but from memory the A/S baseboard covers it.

Without the access hole it is impossible to get the sender unit out as it runs the full depth of the tank and is incorporated into the strainer. When empty the plastic tank comes down easily with a trolley jack.

Just how old is your Clubman as there were possible changes in the electrical system on the later direct injection models.

Archived