Electrics tripping

parkmoy

Recently visited a campsite and hooked up as normal. Fridge was switched on and I was using laptop connected to 240v socket outlet.

After about an hour the site supply outlet to my unit tripped. Tried a second outlet and same thing happened. I then activated all my trip switches but same thing happened when connected to different site outlets.

I disconnected the hook up cable from my unit but left it connected to the site outlet - no problems.

I assume I'm getting a short somewhere but where, and why did it suddenly occur? Can anyone give me any suggestions?

Hi,

This must be done logically

1 unhook the lead frem the van but still connect to the mains supply

does it trip if so its the lead. if not no 2

2 hook up to van but have consumer unit switch off

does it trip if so its between van socket and consumer unit. if not no 3

3 switch on consumer unit but have all trips off

does it trip if so its in consumer unit if not no 4

4 switch on one trip at a time untill you find the one that is causing the fault

5 swith off and remove all bulbs or what ever etc that may be on that trip and check again it it trips its the wiring in not replace one item at a time and check each time if it trips

By then you should have found where the fault lies

Richard

Hi,

Did you check what the amperage of the site hook up trip was? some sites only have 5amp trips. Also was your truma water heater switched on,most come on when on hook up so it is possible that the thermostat on your water heater swithed on while you were using other equipment and tripped the supply,also your battery chqarger would also be drawing current and it all adds up. on a low current hook up its very easy to overload the supply.

Regards Geoff

Check the hook up socket on the van first make sure it has not got wet and the connections are ok . If that is ok then trace the cable back to the consumer unit and make sure it is not damaged with a screw through it or it has not chaffed against some thing sharp also check the connections in the consumer unit making sure they are properly located and tight. If you have not got the equipment and are still have problems after this then you will need to have a insulation test carried out between the socket and consumer unit by and electrician.

Geoff

Archived