Problems in Santander

Don Madge

I've lifted this post from MHF as I think it is important for anybody using the ferry to Santander.

"Hello everyone!

I am a spanish MH user.The reason for registering here, is to warn all those who have thought about coming to Spain, the problems that we are taking the MH users in Santander.The council has banned parking MH throughout the municipality, so that every camper parked, will be blocked, withdrawn by a crane and fined.

We hope to see you in Spain, but prevents the city of Santander.

A hug"

Well that's certainly not an "urban myth"

Safe travelling.

Don

1660170951_Sant1.jpg.2a4ba93b57819e52aebefa84d9e32c07.jpg

328439558_Sant2.jpg.de050a79aa74a6eb8948b98949a28329.jpg

883211213_Sant3.jpg.ad44df58822713b6a647069ad4b96851.jpg

405885565_Sant4.jpg.78fa1ccefc710c45cd80aef5b1686152.jpg

1751297213_Sant5.jpg.ecc7727ab5dd7faac3893d1cd49f8047.jpg

62452919_Sant6.jpg.7c14d1cf41c4444813914d45f0c00f8e.jpg

my Spanish is pretty much non-existent - but I'd've read 'excepto tourismos' and assumed I was ok? or does it mean coaches?

they do seem to be targeting big 'vans - wonder if panel van conversions would be ok? also whether it is a high season thing?? *-)

not that I'd want to test it out. *-)

a useful post from a very helpful person

thanks to Don too - I no longer 'pays me money' and so rarely visit MHF these days

B-)

but the sign is weight related - and therefore I would [but for this thread] have assumed ok for my camper as tourist 'car' over 1.8

what's the spanish for 'sharp practice' perhaps they've been taking rip off lessons from the uk? :-S

B-)

twooks - 2008-08-06 11:49 AM

but the sign is weight related - and therefore I would [but for this thread] have assumed ok for my camper as tourist 'car' over 1.8

what's the spanish for 'sharp practice' perhaps they've been taking rip off lessons from the uk? :-S

B-)

My car is registered as a 'turismo', my motorhome is registered as an 'autocaravana'.

twooks - 2008-08-06 10:49 AM

B-)

Maybe the authorities are getting sick of all the freeloaders littering up every street corner for days on end rather than paying to go onto a proper facility

As motorhomes get bigger and bigger they take up more and more space which leads to parking problems for the local residents and they are have forced the authorities to take some action

twooks - 2008-08-06 10:49 AM but the sign is weight related - and therefore I would [but for this thread] have assumed ok for my camper as tourist 'car' over 1.8 what's the spanish for 'sharp practice' perhaps they've been taking rip off lessons from the uk? :-S B-)

Spain, that country that allows you to buy a house/flat, and then decides to un-sell for you, it so that a developer can knock it down and build something else in its place without compensation, take lessons in sharp practice from us??  Ho, ho!!  ;-)

However, the Spanish on the sign says no vehicles over 1.8 tonnes, except private cars.  Their spanish is correct and clear, it is our (and clearly several other's!) untutored interpretation of it that is wrong.  However, if we are in Spain, and don't speak adequate Spanish to understand their quite clear roadsigns, that is hardly Spanish sharp practice, it is the "stoopid bleedin' foreigners" i.e. us, who are at fault.  "There but for the grace of God" (or at least a very nice Spaniard!) says I.

The original post seems to suggest that MH's are not able to park anywhere in the street in Santander. Is that the correct interpretation of it, or is it only where the referred to sign is displayed?

When I go in September would I be able to park and visit a shop for example, if there is no sign?

parkmoy - 2008-08-06 6:12 PM The original post seems to suggest that MH's are not able to park anywhere in the street in Santander. Is that the correct interpretation of it, or is it only where the referred to sign is displayed? When I go in September would I be able to park and visit a shop for example, if there is no sign?

Looking at the pics, all the clamped vans are within designated parking areas, so I'd assume the signs are erected adjacent to those areas.  Whether there are other areas, minus the signs, where you can park is not stated.  If you can't get that info from the Santander Authority, you'd just have to cruise around looking.  "Drive on by", seems the best answer.

The 'magic book' with detailed instructions and translations of road signs is in the 'van.

I would still have been tempted to park - mainly because

1 we've a small van

2 we go out of season and believe in spending our money locally

3 can't think of many private cars over that weight - so why specify it?

having said that - we rarely go to Spain so it's unlikely to arise for us. But have noticed a distinct lowering of tolerance levels in France - as Syd sez - motorcaravans are getting bigger and bigger - and take over the place as and when it seems to suit them - this has had some trickle down effect on the smaller vans with regard to parking restrictions and costs.

The real concern with this is that it seems to be hitting shoppers / short stayers / day visitors and it is in a ferry town where you would expect more facilities for their 'customers'.

B-)

Hi Twooks

There are plenty of facilities available and they are called "Camping Sites"

These are not used quiet simply because they have the audacity to make a charge for the excellent services that they offer, ie they are not FREE.

Syd - 2008-08-06 10:24 PM Hi Twooks There are plenty of facilities available and they are called "Camping Sites" These are not used quiet simply because they have the audacity to make a charge for the excellent services that they offer, ie they are not FREE.

Vicious, Syd :-)

Brian Kirby - 2008-08-06 10:52 PM
Syd - 2008-08-06 10:24 PM Hi Twooks There are plenty of facilities available and they are called "Camping Sites" These are not used quiet simply because they have the audacity to make a charge for the excellent services that they offer, ie they are not FREE.

Vicious, Syd :-)

Hi BrianYes, it was meant to relay the feelings that I, and several others some of which are Spanish, hold regarding "Wild camping"The Spanish friends that I have discussed this with see it in the same light as myself, they say it is not "Wild Camping" it is "Freeloading" and they bitterly complain about it and in the main they are right. They make the point that these freeloaders make the streets look like a gipsy caravan siteThankfully they admit that it is not mainly a "English " holidaymaker problem.Are they right?? would you like a few of them parked for a week in your street// No I guess not

Syd - 2008-08-06 10:24 PM

Hi Twooks

These are not used quiet simply because they have the audacity to make a charge for the excellent services that they offer, ie they are not FREE.

just goes to show that there's no such thing as a free lunch in the final analysis, but it is nice to be able to park up - have a bit of an explore, buy the occasional coffee and a bit of scran.

it's also nice to pay a reasonable rate for facilities - some municipal sites now charge more for a motorhome than caravan and car - presumably based on the increasing size and weight of vans - still excellent value when compared to prices elsewhere - but not fairly rated

the areas in the photos look as though they are simply parking areas

B-)

Syd - 2008-08-06 10:24 PM

Hi Twooks

Hi Syd, bear in mind that not everyone can walk or cycle into town and busses are not the answer if you may have to wait a long time (15 minuets is a long time for me to stand) so i guess i could pay for a taxi there and back, or just go where i park my van?

pete

Thanks for the tip-off.

I can accept fair enforcement of clearly stated rules, provided alternative, well-signed parking/camping is provided at reasonable rates. (Er, not like in the UK, then.) That said, the timing of introducing these restrictions appears unfortunate for our Spanish cousins. Their economy is ailing fast, with new unemployment claims hitting 36,500 in May compared to 4,500 a year before, industrial output fell 9% in June and sales of houses and apartments were down 34% on a year ago, one would think they could ill-afford to scare off tourists regardless of their mode of transport........

What bureaucrats often fail to recognise is the negative power of perception. With so many great places to visit across the EU and EEA countries, if a significant number of potential visitors perceive there will be problems and hassle in a particular town/area/country can they be bothered going there? Similarly, recent negative stories will tend to build on each other to establish a pattern - bomb threats, crime and scams targetting tourists, coastal areas blighted by ugly, unfinished apartment blocks, "Costa Del Crash", soaring inflation etc until perhaps, Spain will tend to drop off mobile, fickle, well-heeled visitors' radar and they go elsewhere? One would think the bureaucrats would be best advised not to manufacture additional negative news from Spain.

But then, I have to concede with our own politicians and bureaucrats exacerbating our economic slow-down by loading businesses and individuals with layer upon layer of extra taxes and red tape, on almost a daily basis, how can any Briton lecture the Spanish on common sense?!

Bob

Syd,

I think the clue to the problems with these other facilities lies in the name "camping site" or "caravan site" i.e. they are facilities designed for other types of user not motorhomes. Why would I want to stay miles from anywhere, on a tiny pitch with trees that scrape my roof surrounded by noisy tent campers? And whats more pay good money to do this? Oh sorry forgot about the "excellent!!" facilities, which I do not need. No the answer is for the authorities to provide proper areas for motorhomes to stay on, which are within easy reach of where you want to be, make provision to fill-up with water and dump waste and for this make a reasonable charge. Ah now where do I know of such facilities? Yes the aires de service network in France. So forget Spain and do as we do and spend your time in France. (By the way we have not noticed any significant increase in intolerance to motorhomes in France. Indeed the last year has seen the largest increase in aires in the past five years)

All the best.

robertandjean - 2008-08-07 9:25 AM

Syd,

I think the clue to the problems with these other facilities lies in the name "camping site" or "caravan site" i.e. they are facilities designed for other types of user not motorhomes. ....................

I have nothing to say on the subject of freeloaders other than camping should be done on appropriate area's not where someone would normally only park up to visit the shops, this will only make matters worse for those of us that are responsible. However I would just like to point out it is generally US that call our vehicles Motorhomes the DVLA classification on the V5c is 'Motorised Caravan', so you see we are all caravanners but ours are motorised!!

Bas

Basil - 2008-08-07 9:50 AM

I would just like to point out it is generally US that call our vehicles Motorhomes the DVLA classification on the V5c is 'Motorised Caravan', so you see we are all caravanners but ours are motorised!!

Bas

Just for information, our V5c calls it a "Motorcaravan"!

Mike Hol

Why assume that every parked MH is there for the purpose of wild camping? Shouldn't we be allowed to shop/sightsee/eat in a restaurant like everyone else? If wild camping is the problem then timed parking is the answer not a blanket ban.

Oh and by the way I'm sure we've all heard of those facilities you mention. Some of us even use them regularly although the services offerred are definitely not universally excellent.

Mike Hol - 2008-08-07 10:05 AM

Just for information, our V5c calls it a "Motorcaravan"!

Mike Hol

Perhaps they have altered the classification wording, ours is in its prime now B-) B-) B-), still makes it a 'Caravan' with a motor though!

parkmoy - 2008-08-07 10:23 AM

Why assume that every parked MH is there for the purpose of wild camping? Shouldn't we be allowed to shop/sightsee/eat in a restaurant like everyone else? If wild camping is the problem then timed parking is the answer not a blanket ban.

That is exactly my point, those that choose to camp 'freely' with disregard for other people will eventually lead to all of us being banned from parking and shopping/ visiting, a bit like the height barriers in the UK where abuse has caused more and more councils to stop parking facilities e.g. Aldborough Suffolk.

Bas

Archived