Land Reform Act (Scotland) 2003

Guest Tracker

Guest Tracker

This act passed by The Scottish Parliament opens up the countryside giving many rights and responsibilities to recreational participants in Scotland and includes within it the Scottish Outdoor Access Code which in itself appears to be for 'on the ground' guidance rather than statutory

One part of the access code of conduct accepts that 'roadside' camping exists and is not unlawful.

Another section states that 'access onto land by any form of motorised vehicle (except for powered wheelchairs) is not included.

Does anyone have any experience of the actual interpretation of the Act and Code when it comes to responsibly parking a motorhome overnight alongside a road, or the sea or a river, or in a car park where motorised vehicles are allowed to be and where overnight parking is not specifically excluded?

I would never stop overnight where it says not to, but I do now wonder whether it might be in breach of the code for a local authority or land owner to preclude overnight parking and sleeping in a vehicle where it is lawful for the vehicle to otherwise be.

I have not been to Scotland since 2005 at which time I noticed a tightening rather than a loosening of motorhome exclusions from car parks - which is one of the reasons why we now prefer to holiday abroad.

Guest Tracker
Thanks Graham, National Parks are another no no as far as we are concerned as we reason that other folk don't go there to look at motorhomes and us parking up in these areas would do little to endear motorhomers to the locals.

Tracker - 2008-08-06 7:11 PM

Thanks Graham, National Parks are another no no as far as we are concerned as we reason that other folk don't go there to look at motorhomes and us parking up in these areas would do little to endear motorhomers to the locals.

Agree wholeheartedly. So long as people confine off-site camping to areas where no harm/offence is done to anyone then there can be little, if any, cause for anyone to complain.

Graham

Archived