Argos Reversing Camera?

Vernon B

Guest Tracker

I can't comment on this one, but I have a reversing camera on my Tracker (it came with it) and I find that the fish eye lens distorts so badly that it's only real value is to ensure that there is nobody behind you as you reverse.

It is of very limited value for accurate close up reversing and as it's range is limited to just a few feet it does not even double as a decent rear view mirror when going forward.

Be aware of the possibility of these limitations to avoid disappointment.

Vernon:

An effective rear-view camera system is bound to be a valuable add-on to a motorcaravan. Even if one is red hot at reversing (and I'm hopeless) and careful, there is always the possibility that something - like a child - will enter the vehicle's blind spot when one's attention is elsewhere. And, if the rear-view system can also be used while the motorhome is being driven forwards, then that's a double bonus. Since I've added a rear-view camera system to my Hobby I wouldn't want to revert to relying on just the vehicle's original exterior mirrors.

'Wireless' reversing systems will normally be simpler to install than 'traditional' ones, as (at least in the case of your Galaxy) the camera can conveniently pick up its electrical power from the vehicle's reversing-light circuit and there's no lengthy cable between rear camera and front monitor. Conversely, there's more potential for signal interference and, if you wanted to use a wireless system for rear viewing while driving forwards as well as when reversing, you'd have to think very carefully about how you'd power the camera.

There is a tendency to say that you get what you pay for with these systems and I think that's true to a degree, But plenty of motorcaravanners have reported on forums that they've been delighted with cheap (usually wireless) rear-view systems obtained via e-bay and the like. Price doesn't always ensure pleasure, and I was in contact recently with a chap who had installed a very expensive dual-purpose-camera WAECO system in his motorhome and had the monitor fail almost immediately.

The Argos-marketed product is advertised as a parking aid and it looks like the camera is intended to be stuck to the surface of a car's rear panel. I'm doubtful that the camera's design would provide good performance if you wanted to use the system as the equivalent of a rear-view mirror as (like Tracker's camera) there's likely to be distortion. To be able to reverse to within a millimetre or so of an obstacle, the camera needs to be capable of providing a view straight down the motorhome's rear wall and to the left and right rear edges of the vehicle, and I don't think the Argos product could do that either. The monitor's display is also pretty tiny at 2.4" - the norm tends to be around 5" and my own system has an eye-friendly 7" screen (though, with hindsight, probably over-kill for my Hobby).

Impossible really to guess how well the Argos system would perform in a motorhome application without trying it out or, at least, seeing it demonstrated. As Tracker warns, if a motorcaravanner buyer has high expectations these may not be realised with this product, but the proof of the pudding would be in the eating.

(Not sure whether the RAC logo on a product means much nowadays. I've got a cheap Chinese-made jig-saw with the JCB logo on it - the original saw-blades were made from metal putty and, when I tried to dig a trench in my garden with it, it was no use whatsoever!)

Hi and thanks

Went into Argos to take a look at this unit and have to say it doesn't look up to the job. Couldn't look at all the details because of the wrapping but the screen was very small and the spec said for cars and "small" vans.

Mickt your Maplin offering certainly looks more promising and I'll take a look at that unit. The product code by the way is A30HN.

Thanks again

V

Vernon

Why would anyone want to pay these prices for this tiny setup when you can get an extremely good one that fits a 6" screen to your rearview mirror and only costs around £75 and from a UK supplier see

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Parking-reversing-rearview-ccd-camera-and-6-monitor_W0QQitemZ160270306803QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160270306803&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

this has a CCD camera in with the price as well, CCD is reconed to be the best type for clarity and use.

I have had one of these fitted for nearly three years now, it replaced a Waeco one, it has been exceptional. It takes two camera's and I use it for rear view at all times not just for reversing and being at the mirror position it is where you expect to look when you are manouvering.

It is also a 'red herring' to have a wireless one as it still has to be wired into a power supply and if you use the reversing light conection, as has been suggested, it is only useable when reversing and so loses much of it's potential benefit. It only needs one cable to connect the camera to the monitor in the cab and that is easy to run on a motorhome van chassis, it took around two hours to install mine.

Bas

Archived