visiting morocco with your dog

stevie reay

we are looking to travel through france, spain, portugal and back into spain and then on to morocco. We will be taking our dog with us and although he has a EU PASSPORT can anyone tell us what documents we will need to enter morocco with the dog as it is not an EU country. :-S

Hi,

Morocco is not one of the none EU countries covered by the Pet Travel Scheme, see http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/pets/procedures/support-info/other.htm for the countries covered.

So if you take your dog into Morocco it will have to go into quarantine when you return to the UK.

I believe some dog owners do take their pets to Morocco and chance it.

Regards

Don

The Moroccans will stamp your passport so you can't say you wasn't there!

Also, they have a lot, and I mean a lot, of wild dogs roaming out in the sticks, the local do shoot them from time to time I was told, the main reason being that they attack the goats etc. but also because rabies is endemic amongst them.

Geoff

We are not too worried about coming back to UK with the dog as we will travel round europe for a further 6 months before we return to the UK and I understand that that should be ok, but we are not sure about entering morocco as we heard that the dog will need a health check in the Uk and then has to enter morocco within seven days of that check which would cause problems as we wanted to go to morocco straight from spain and we would of been touring for a couple of months by that time.

just wondered if anyone had any experience of this.

Archived