Exterior cleaning.

cookie

Has anyone any ideas of how we clean the exterior sealant which is in the join between the original chassis cab, and the conversion body. We are now driving around with a black join as whatever we use does not seem to help. The sealant is soft so will not take a lot of rubbing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rule 1 is to try whatever you use on a small unobtrusive area first. I have seen acetone suggested on this forum, but I would try iso-propyl alcohol first if I were you -available at your local chemist and there's no way it'll do any damage.

Mel E

====

cookie - 2008-08-08 9:30 AM Has anyone any ideas of how we clean the exterior sealant which is in the join between the original chassis cab, and the conversion body. We are now driving around with a black join as whatever we use does not seem to help. The sealant is soft so will not take a lot of rubbing. Any help would be appreciated.

Assuming the joint is original, the safe option would be to contact the manufacturer and ask what make and type of sealant has been used in that position.  Then contact the manufacturer of the sealant and ask them what you should use, and what you definitely should not use!  The problems is that all cleaners are chemical cocktails, and some sealants (also chemical cocktails) may react adversely to some of those chemicals.  Trying the cleaner on a small area is wise, but not all reactions progress quickly, so it is possible that premature ageing may be caused, but may not become apparent for a considerable time after use of the cleaner, or until the cleaner has been used several times.  Proceed with caution!

Fenwicks Caravan Cleaner used full strength as per their instructions will clean sealer to a good standard safely, unfortunately sealer attracts dirt and will soon blacken again, especially where it is exposed to road spray.

Archived