Mojaca and Wild Camping (or freeloading if you like)

hallii

I have made this a new thread rather than highjacking the Santander thread.

I read this in the "Euro Weekly News"

"Fines for illegal overnight camping

Camping and parking a caravan overnight in unauthorised areas in Mojácar, including beaches, car parks and tracks, are liable to fines under a new municipal by-law. Fines of between 60 and 100 euros are applicable in the event two warnings are ignored; the fine can be up to 100 euros in the case of causing damage or dirtying an area as well as camping out illegally; the fine is reduced to 40 euros if it is paid voluntarily and if responsibility for the infraction is recognised. The Local Police and Guardia Civil also have the authority to request caravans be removed by a tow truck"

The interesting bit is "in the event two warnings are ignored" I have never ignored even one warning when moved on by the police!

Anyway 40 Euros paid voluntarily sounds good value if you can sneak a couple of nights out of it!

Hoist the JollyRoger! Sail on as before!

Geoff the Pirate

They have been issueing fines and towing Mhomes for some weeks now at various resorts along the Del Sol.......You may find the 40e bit is if you pay the issued 100e or whatever fine within a given [short] time.......

But my info is that get a fine and leave vehicle..........towed!

OK detourer, it seems they are having a clamp down then, but Spain is a big place and I will certainly find somewhere suitable.

I can always use the bar car park, they are on private land, usually, and have always let me stay a night or two for free if I use the bar for a meal and a drink, not that I need to be forced!

The problem is that the MHs are getting. frankly, bloody enormous and they stay for months on end, no wonder the locals get annoyed. My smallish VW is parked for 2 nights maximum and then we are off, but we all get tarred with the same brush.

Spanish camp sites can be either very good (and expensive) or poor to say the least, I have stayed on sites where every square inch of space is filled with permanant awnings, kitchen tents, BBQ, decking, etc., and I was placed on the campsite road at the end, and charged 24 euros for a night!

I will keep on going until it gets like this country, and that is a long way off yet. Inland and into the mountains and there are hundreds maybe thousands of places to stay, should last me out!

Geoff

I wouldn’t worry to much Hallii, if you read the “scare stories” you will see that most of those effected have either parked illegally or outstayed time…..a few think parking on a sea-front road or car park and setting up camp is OK…….Like most hobbies or lifestyles it takes just a few to screw it for the many.

I took a mates boat down to San Pedro yesterday [i have a hitch] and saw a Brit Mhome parked with the awning opened over pavement!! Chairs, Tables etc……totally oblivious.

Anyway…..there are endless fabulous wild camping spots inland and like you say, a BIG country.

Archived