Fiat ducato air con

ralphroseman

I have had my motorhome laid up for 6 months and when I used it this summer I found the air conditioning in the cab was not cooling. I took the vehicle for an air con service and found to my horror that there is a hole in the compressor. As the compressor is protected it could not have been a stone. The servicer suggests that it is a faulty casting. My van is a 2003 Hymer 564. Has anyone else had this problem?

It may well have been a one off faulty casting, couple of months ago had a pair of engine mounts cast, as they where machined opened up an 'air' pocket which luckily had to be machined clear throu, sent them off for x ray and luckily no more air pockets, guess there needed to be more risers when cast, but if you had similier air pocket just under surface it may have been wafer thin and after a few years burst throu.

What you are much more likely to have happen is leaks on seals after a 6 month lay up.

I was shown the hole by using a mirror. The unit is low down on the front right hand side of the vehicle behind a metal bracket. I will get a second opinion. The area around the hole was green as if it had got mould growing on it. Thanks for the comments to date.

Archived