Going to France?

libby

My friend returned yesterday saying the prices are not so different from the UK.

He went into Cite Europe but there were very few people and most were not buying, he also went to Sainsbury's, were ever that is, which was little better.

He suggested with the travel costs on top there's little difference than shopping in the UK.

LB

libby - 2008-08-09 9:49 PM Well please say it in plain English so we can all understand

I'm with you here Libby. There are many people on this site whose English is terrible but it's because they aren't well educated so it's acceptable because they are still doing their best. But if you read many posts by Twooks you'll find that she is capable of writing proper English but seems too idle to do so and ends up using this text message language more typical of a spotty teenager than a pensioner. Regrettably, as you've proved, it's often confusing and hard to understand.

A bit harsh, surely? Next thing you'll be getting at Fred for his Cornish-argot contributions!

Lots of people choose to adopt a forum posting 'style' that entertains them. Although I've never sent or received a text in my life, I rarely have trouble deciphering the texting-type abbreviations sometimes used and, if I can't decipher an abbreviation, I mentally make one up (invariably smutty) to 'fill in the blank' and that keeps me amused. Frankly my dears wgaf?

Well I thought Twooks answer was perfectly understandable and didn't need the seriously negative response from some. I'm not a young text speak teenager either.

Things are only not understandable to people who can't or don't want to be bothered, if you don't understand you can always ask for clarification as the thread initiater did.

Bas

My my, that'll teach me to add my tuppen'orth to threads in a flippant manner.

The thread is headed 'Going to France' and the post is about pricing levels and states that there is now little difference to shopping in the UK.

My response is based on the fact that I personally find that there are more / better options when shopping in France than in the UK- but that in any event shopping is not my main reason for going to France.

I am neither a pensioner nor a spotty teenager - I do use use texts or as they are more accurately known SMS [short Message Service] I prefer not to use abbreviations but do use contractions. I find that texts are less intrusive than telephone calls and are a perfectly adapted medium for the exchange of information.

I do believe that communication is an art form that should be adapted to circumstances as appropriate. Communication over the Internet has it's own rules and regulations, it is generally referred to as 'netiquette' and covers such things as style and good manners, for example posting with CAPITALS is considered to be rude and is seen as shouting. As with any form of culture the Internet also has it's own 'language' and abbreviations. In my view it is only polite to make yourself aware of these matters before you indulge.

Whenever communication is carried out face to face only a very small percentage of the message is conveyed by the actual words used. Tone of voice together with a host of non-verbal signals actually portray over 90% of the meaning. This is not possible on the Internet which has evolved an informal and relaxed style of written communication [perhaps in place of the tone element of the message] and abbreviations and emoticons are used as substitutes for non-verbal signals.

In my original post I was expressing an opinion not a fact, and indicated such by using imo - in my opinion.

Imo expecting to communicate over the Internet without knowledge of the rules and regulations is shortsighted and potentially rude, a little like visiting a country without knowing anything of their customs and language perhaps. ;-)

It is easy to mis-read signals and I apologise if I have upset anyone by doing so. I didn't understand Libby's lack of understanding [and still don't really :-S ]. There is never any excuse for blatant rudeness and unprovoked aggression - but ime [in my experience] people who behave that way are extremely unlikely to understand why their behaviour is inappropriate and so any further discussion on this particular aspect of this thread is likely to be a complete waste of time.

http://www.internet-guide.co.uk/netiquette-guide.html

http://www.internetslang.com/

http://netforbeginners.about.com/cs/netiquette101/a/abbreviations.

hth

Whilst use of abbreviations is reasonable in a short text message, given the cost and time involved, it is pure laziness in e-mails and postings on forums unless the abbreviation is one in common use in the English language. As the purpose of posting on a forum, particularly one such as this, is (presumably) to communicate to all the readers, not just those who can understand the jargon of the media, then it makes sense to post in normal English. Having struggled to read some posts, I have come to the conclusion that those not readily readable are not worth reading.

twooks - 2008-08-09 9:36 PM options are better tho imo and the shopping is just an add-on attraction anyway B-)

Subject = France.

Opinion = more choice of purchases, but country visited mainly for other reasons.  What more do you want? 

But why be so offensive about it?  A polite, but clear, query on any point of uncertainty would surely be much pleasanter?  Anyhow, who does "shopping" while in France?  You need stuff, you buy stuff.  Or am I missing something?

In any case, the wine is cheaper, and so is the beer, and so are most cheeses.  Suits me.  :-)

Before posting on here I think we should all consider: 'who are you trying to communicate with'?

I would suggest that most people view this forum for some assistance or advice relating to our chosen pastime, not to learn text language.

I think that Twooks idea that " before you indulge ---- you should make yourself aware of internet culture" is wrong.

If you use jargon, shorthand or whatever you will only end up with a small clique of people who just talk among themselves - not, I suggest, the purpose of the forum.

;-)

not sure that I understand all of this, but surely most of the internet stuff is passing into everyday speech anyway - 'google' is now happily accepted as a verb for example

and abbreviations are used in everyday speech if appropriate

if you don't learn the rules you don,t get to play in most activities do you?

and it does stop you making silly errors eg shouting with capitals on the internet or pushing to the front of a bus queue for example

ray

duffers - 2008-08-10 9:00 PM

not sure that I understand all of this, but surely most of the internet stuff is passing into everyday speech anyway - 'google' is now happily accepted as a verb for example

and abbreviations are used in everyday speech if appropriate

if you don't learn the rules you don,t get to play in most activities do you?

and it does stop you making silly errors eg shouting with capitals on the internet or pushing to the front of a bus queue for example

ray

I don't remember hearing anyone using the "text speak" abbreviatons when talking. Do we really want to restrict the use of this forum to those who understand all the jargon of text speak and blogs?

I remember, some while back, reading a post in "the other place" where the person was dismissing this forum as uninformative because the posts were commandeered by a few habitual posters. There is this tendency where the number of people participating is small, but do we want to encourage participation or discourage it?

jees this post is hard.

To the original poster,

Yes france is as cheap/expensive as the UK if you go shopping for coco pops and cornflakes. Tobacco is cheap, as brian says, wine, cheese and spirits is cheaper. Diesel is cheaper (just) .

However why on earth would you spend the money on fuel and ferry crossign to go shopping in france? if you holiday there (like we will be in 4 days) then great, the shopping is a bonus.

As for you twooks? I understand you perfectly well and thought it a decent reply

As for you "There are many people on this site whose English is terrible but it's because they aren't well educated so it's acceptable because they are still doing their best".who suggested the uneducated use this site? well yep Im here, but my uneducation in the english language is surpassed by all the other usefull bits of information us uneducated people give for FREE on forums like this. But congratulations on posting the most riddiculously snobby remark Ive ever read on any forum.

I didn't specify text speak anything simply referred to the use of abbreviations

If you really want people to be prepared to contribute to this forum I suggest you stop jumping on posters who don't happen to agree with you.

At the risk of perpetuating what has become an unfortunate thread I have simply agreed with one of the previous posts and said that there are rules of behaviour and language forms in and often peculiar to every walk of life - the web is no different and I do not understand why you seem to believe that it should be.

I have lurked [another web term] around here for a while and only just decided to join in - perhaps I should not have bothered.

We recently sold our motorhome and are looking to buy another one in the next few months ready for next year. I have been reading mmm for the last few months and decided to join this site looking for information.

There are some knowledgeable and helpful posters on here, some who just seem to want the social side and some who just seem to want an argument. A pity that a few should let down the site so badly.

ray

From the originator Libby.

So I guess that's sorted the speech abbrieviations then?

Yes I do text my grandchildren often and to friends in OZ so am pretty used to shortening words so one can get more in the allowance space.

However, this forum does not have those limitations and I would prefer to read a word as a fully descriptive word. (apart from our Fred)

I was young once and thought that talking like the Yanks was great. Now at a ripe old age I hate it, along with most that comes from the US!!!

I'm not scholarly (spent my youth down air raid shelters) (I know lots about girls from those times) but I do love the English language and its quirky conotations.

I don't mind what is said as long as I can decipher it.

Hope you liked that, perhaps you'll like this (David Mellor)

Just had a thought, using abbreviations (not wen txtng) is surely in the same veign as the repetitive speaker who constantly quotes Clichés instead of explaining with a variety of words. Thus the message sender becomes less entertaining to others.

Back to Motorhoming EMI JCB KDG FBI Uncle Tom Cobbly and Fred.

LB

Well, well, well, here we go again! For goodness sake, if you don't understand something then ask but this is rediculous! Why are some of you purposely stirring things up again for the sake of it? How many have come on here to give their tuppence worth and completely ignored the question?

To get back on track ... I agree that there's not much difference between UK and French prices now, however, if you go to the likes of Cite Europe etc there won't be. In my experience I've found the likes of Lidl etc abroad are quite a bit cheaper for certain items than these 'traditional' enticing Euro outlets. However, if, as Twooks says, you want 'options', ie more choice, then you'll struggle to get anywhere in the UK that can match these Euro outlets. Shopping is something that it's nice to do occasionally, especially just before coming back to the UK, but I wouldn't spoil my holiday by putting time aside to make a stop for shopping on my way back if there was something else more interesting to do instead.

Now, can we have more views on the question posed rather than on having a go at each other? Pretty pleeeeeeaaaaasssseeeeee .... :-)

Hello all, we arrived home yesterday after 17 nights in France and here's a selection of our observations.

Let me repeat that, OUR observations...

Sites fees in total £170, so £10 per night average

Diesel costs in total round trip £290, (30 mpg for the bean counters )

Food (supermarket) shopping, no different in cost to UK

Eating out, much cheaper than UK

Drinking (at bars etc) little difference to UK

Upsides (for us) include

Wine, (wherever bought), is hugely cheaper

Shopping experiences are much better than UK, local markets in particular

Weather is usually kinder to us, but especially this year

Camping is wonderfully informal

Downsides (for us) include

The poor Euro exchange rate this year has made a difference to costs

The gap between UK and French diesel prices have narrowed considerably

In spite of the increased costs we both agreed that it was the best French van holiday we've had, largely I suspect to the weather as it was glorious.

Martyn

I second All of what Martyn says ! you wont see much difference to UK except wine and beer, food is pretty much the same as here and you might find if your not carefull some of the sites can be pricey 2 that were quoted in the books as 14Euros a night were in fact 30Euros and 37Euros neither of which we stayed at we soon departed when quoted that!

The deisel can be anything between 135e and 150e depending on where you are so I would recommend filling up when you see it cheaper!

I cant beleive I did so much shopping in lidl and Aldi with a few Champions thrown in Carrafour had height barriers the coupe we tried! and dont beleive what you hear about being able o take your dog in supermarkets you Cant!! and Cite Europe is a definate NO.

We had 6 weeks in all between Germany and France the weather was hot with just a couple of cool rainy days so if you want the weather it has to be France.

Archived