Laika m/h vehicle battery not charging

bertieburstner

I have a problem with a one month old 2008 Laika H680 a class based on a 6 speed manual Fiat chassis. The vehicle battery went flat last night at 1am!. This caused the alarm to make funny (thankfully quiet noises).

I was able to connect the 230volt "habitation" connection to the vehicle. I understand this charges the two leisure batteries, but the Laika handbook says under the section entitled "Electric system engine battery" I quote " When turning on the engine the vehicles alternator automatically recharges also the auxiliary battery: the "paralleling" is achieved, at the start, by means of a special relay. Recharge can also be achieved, always automatically, through the connection to the 230v network: the use of this source is recommended whenever possible"

I understood this to mean that by connecting up I would charge the vehicle battery. However this morning the charge was reading 3.8V!

Obviously it has not charged, and I am now charging the vehicle. I have checked all the fuses and they are ok.

My questions are

should the hook up charge the vehicle battery?

if so is there anything simple i can check?

I have telephoned the dealer 300 miles away and they are as much use as a chocolate teapot.

thanks!

bertieburstner - 2008-08-11 3:40 PM

up until the battery went flat the vehicle has been on our driveway not connected to the mains. it has been there about 3 weeks.

B-) The onboard charger charges the Leisiure batteries when hooked up to a mains supply. It is likely that the Motor battery has discharged due to the Alarm system.

I have just looked at our Laika manual and although it is a 2002 model it says:-

The battery charger comes into operation automatically when the vehicle is connected to the 220V power source. The battery charger can supply a maximum current of 20A.

It does not say which battery is being charged so I would have thought it would have been both. On our previous van (a Rapido) we had a switch under the bed for the charger when hooked up to the mains.On this Laika we have a touch screen which gives a message if the engine battery is not charged.

Hi,

From what you say your hand books not much more help than your dealer! so maybe this will help you

When your engine is running the vehicle alternator charges both batteries through a split charge relay and also powers the fridge.

When on hook up normally the on board charger will charge your leasure battery and some models also trickle charge the vehicle battery. On mine I have a switch to change from leasure battery to vehicle battery so I can keep both topped up, I can also check the voltage and charge input of both batteries and discharge rate on my leasure battery on my control panel.

You should be able to monitor the state of both batteries on your panel. If you have had an alarm system retro fitted then this will draw a small amount of current all the time, whether set or not also the vehicle ECU also draws current, as does the Fiat immobiliser system.

It does not do batteries any good to let them go flat as the cells can be damaged and the life of the battery will be shortened. As a guide I check the charge on my batteries at least every 2 weeks, and charge as required if not using the vehicle. Make sure that somethng has not been left switched on some times accessories are wired to the vehicle battery.

What ever you do do not disconnect your vehicle battery as it can upset the fiat alarm and and immobiliser, a 12v supply must be maintained to the vehicles electronics(ECU) at all times to save a lot of hassle with the alarms.

There is always lots of help on the forum with these sort of problems,

hope this helps regards geoff

Archived