Thinking of taking a motorcycle test, read this

donna miller

Many motorhomers carry or tow motorbikes of varying sizes and capacities, many already have full UK cat A licence, but if you haven't, then it is advisable to get your test in before October of this year.

The test is changing and will include an off road practical test as well as the road skills section. You will also still need to renew your CBT every two years if you dont pass the test. (This includes holders of UK car licences).

This newer test may be more expensive, and you may have to travel to a new "super center" to take it.

This link explains the new test and answers other questions.

http://www.takeyourbiketestnow.co.uk/bikeTest/

nightrider - 2008-08-12 12:16 PM

Can you ride a small motorbike on a car license? from what I gather taking a motorbike test is an expensive do.

Sorry, it's not that easy anymore,

see below.

The Theory Test

Before taking the Practical test you must pass the Theory Test for Moped and Motorcycle Riders at a local DSA theory-testing centre, even if you already hold a licence for other vehicles. The test includes a number of Highway Code questions and some simulations of traffic scenes in a Hazard Perception Test.

For more information about the theory test or to have a go online visit the DSA website.

What test do I need to take to get a full licence?

There are three categories of full licence

Category P - moped

Category A1 - restricts riders on a bike up to 125cc ( 11kW / 14.6bhp)

Category A - Standard Motorcycle

The practical test must be taken on a bike between 121cc and 125cc and capable of at least 100 kph. After passing the test a rider can only use bikes up to 25kW (33.3bhp) for two years, but you can discard L plates and carry a passenger. After two years you can ride a bike of any size.

Just to add, a rider over 21 can take the direct access option, this means the training and test are taken on a bike of over 25KW or 33bhp. Once passed, you can ride any size m/cycle.

Hope that helps

Well,

It was last year madam took the test.

She did The Theory Test, a number of Highway Code questions and some simulations of traffic scenes in a Hazard Perception Test on a screen and computer thingey before the road test. But it is now even more extensive as you say.

I am glad I took my full bike test in 1960.

C.

Clive - 2008-08-12 1:22 PM

I am glad I took my full bike test in 1960.

C.

Was that when you had to ride round the block without falling off :D :D

When I took my bike test, I forgot to flip up the sidestand when I rode off, the instructor saw it , but still passed me first time (lol)

Clive, Those monkey bikes are so cool.

Found this:

A full car licence automatically gives you a motorcycle provisional.

Full car licences issued before 1st Feb 2001 automatically gave you a full moped licence. You could ride without L plates, even endanger a passenger all without taking any training but we recommend you do. Training is essential.

Car licences issued after 1st Feb. 2001 now only give a moped entitlement. You need a CBT as well but that CBT is presently valid for the life of your car licence (but only for a moped).

The motorcycle press are saying that virtually all test slots available before the change date are booked and therefore getting a test may be difficult. It also appears that quite a few of the new super test centres will not be ready on time so those that are will be busy and could be a fair journey. Some cynics thinks this is a good wheeze to discourage motorcycling but I am sure this cannot be true. I am glad I got my licence in 1960 though. One further point for oldies when you need to renew your licence at 70 make sure you keep a copy of entitlements. There have been reports of the motorcycle part not being on the replacement licence and DVLA insisting that the licensee prove they had a bike licence (not easy) or take the test again.

Itexuk,

As I understand it from what you are saying, I as a qualified driver of some 40 odd years standing would be allowed to ride a moped without L plates, (what cc?) and could I carry a pillion passenger?

I only want a small moped type thing to fit on the back of my type 4 V W, a Honda 90 type machine would in my opinion be ideal, would my car driving license be suitable?

I am not a novice bike rider having had many bikes in my younger days, but never went in for my test, having bought a car.

nightrider - 2008-08-12 6:16 PM

Itexuk,

As I understand it from what you are saying, I as a qualified driver of some 40 odd years standing would be allowed to ride a moped without L plates, (what cc?) and could I carry a pillion passenger?

I only want a small moped type thing to fit on the back of my type 4 V W, a Honda 90 type machine would in my opinion be ideal, would my car driving license be suitable?

I am not a novice bike rider having had many bikes in my younger days, but never went in for my test, having bought a car.

If you passed your test before 1997

As far as I understand from a Police man friend you can ride a moped up to / not over 49cc, that weighs less than 250kg and is resticted to max 30mph. You can carry a pillion and no need to have L Plates

The problem with a 30mph restricted speed, and not being able to keep up with the traffic, is that following drivers lose patience (they shouldn't but do) and start taking risks overtaking you - and your the vulnerable one. From experience its not nice and I would recommend staying away from bikes thus restricted. Take the test, their never as bad as you imagine.

Taking a motorcycle test might be expensive........but it's potentially nowhere near as expensive as not taking the training that goes along with it.

Riding a motorcycle or scooter, on roads, in traffic, involves a totally different set of roadcraft skills. And frankly, a lot more of them.

I've been riding bikes for over 30 years now. A lot. All over the UK and continent, and USA.

And I would say that the best thing I ever did was to invest in Advanced Riding skills training.

I'm sure those skills have kept me alive on a number of "sorry, I didn't see you" occasions.

The investment in the actual bike/scooter really should be secondary to the investment you make in the rider skills that'll keep you alive on it.

Bruce,

The most sensible piece of advice posted.

Too many "ahem!" older people either grab a 49cc bike because their licence allows it, or they used to have a bike back in the 60s and 70s, and become born again bikers. What many do not understand is that modern day 125s are capable of the same speeds an old Bonneville 750 .

Whatever road you go down, ride safe.

Then again you could just move to Spain.......

Not sure if you ever needed a driving licence in Spain……. .Just read this in our local news..........

Since 1st May, when it became a criminal offence [what was it before?], 532 people have been arrested in Malaga. Of those 159 never had one, 11 had already lost them, 5 were too young to drive anyway, 4 were not valid and 6 were from unrecognised county of issue.

I wonder what the figures would be nation-wide.

donna miller - 2008-08-15 6:11 PM

Not nick picking Ollie, you were merely pointing out facts.

If my memory serves me correctly (not that I was there to ride them), the T120 was the 650cc model, and the 750cc T140 came out in 1973.

Hi DM by 1973 I was married with a mortgage and a car, (Hillman Hunter I think) sold the Norton and the grebo jacket in 69 :-( Happy days. (lol)

Olley

Archived