fiat ducato

Bob  Cher

We have a CI on a 2006 2ltr Fiat Ducato. I have been trying to find out what the economical cruising speed is and what the engine powerband revs are. I have searched through the technical data from Fiat and even tried the Fiat web site to no avail. Are there any clever people out there who have this knowledge. We would be forever grateful.

Guest Tracker

Depends on the wind speed and direction quite a bit on Motorways!

The 2.0 hdis that I have had would happily plod along at 45mph or could be pushed along a level motorway at 75 for many miles - dropping off significantly uphill.

At 45 mph I got about 35 mpg and at 75 mph I got about 25 mpg - in round figures and at 55 I got about 30 mpg.

A suitable cruising speed is one at which you and your passengers are happy and feel safe as the modern diesel engine is pretty durable and will happily oblige you with whatever speed you feel like on the day.

I now have a Fiat (old shape) 2.3 and this does similar mpg at similar speeds - but it maintains speed uphill and into a headwind much better - and will really fly on the Autobahn when asked!

The day I have to worry about mpg is the day I will stop motor caravanning because I like to travel quickly when I have a long way to go and want to get there quickly, and slowly when once I have got there and want to explore without regard or worry about the fuel bill.

A July 2005 MMM report of a Swift Sundance gave output figures for its 2.0JTD Fiat motor as 62kW (84bhp) @ 4000rpm and maximum torque of 192Nm (141.5lb.ft) @ 1900rpm.

I don't have easy access to the 'power curves' for this motor, but I've got the graphs for a similar capacity Ford Transit DuraTorq engine that produced 63kW at 4000rpm, though its maximum torque (230Nm at 2000rpm) was greater than the Fiat's.

Assuming the Fiat and Ford motors have roughly similar power-delivery characteristics, I'd expect you'd get best economy in whatever 5th gear cruising-speed range 1900rpm to 2500rpm produces, where the Fiat motor's torque curve is likely to be pretty much flat-topped.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived