Scooters and carriers

John.N

My wife and I are rather restricted in the range we can cover with our bikes carried on our Auto-Sleeper Legend and are considering replacing them with a lightweight motor scooter. Any recommendations for a suitable machine and suppliers of an appropriate carrier would be welcomed.

Cost is an important factor therefore an older design would be appropriate. I have in mind a Honda C90. Performance is not important but weight is. As my biking days are lost in the mists of time I am not familiar with any other machines which might fit the bill.

As you are all such a knowledgebale lot I am confident that I shall receive an avalanche of (conflicting?) expert advice. Thanking you in advance, John

Hi John

A lot depends on what you want to do and how much combined wieght you and the Mrs are. We have used a 50cc Jinlun which can be bought brand new for about £800.00 OTR from Scootex near Chepstowe for about 2 years now with no problems except very steep hills.

We have a combined weight of 23 stones plus shopping, helmets etc and do ok. You can drive this on a car licence if you still have moped on it as it is classed as one. It is easy to load on a carrier and weighs just 75Kg. Mine goes in the garage but I have to take the mirrors off to get it through the door.

If you need a scooterack, Armitage Trailers of Ferrybridge offer a bespoke service www.armitagetrailers.com 0845 194 3701 they will extend/strengthen your chassis and fit a towbar & rack at a reasonable price and if you have a garage on your van they do a 'shoe' which the bike wheel goes into and is then strapped down with ratchets instead. Do make sure you have enough payload to take all this though as you have to include the towbar & rack weight in the equation.

On a positive note given the fuel prices of late-our bike is £50 pa insurance, £15 pa tax and does about 100 miles to a gallon! It's also a lot of fun in traffic jams.

Hope this helps and hope you have fun-look out for Hells Grannies on a Blue & Silver Jinlun!

Regards

Mike

I have a great deal of respect for the Honda 90 and our present steeds are derivatives of this. We have had two Honda 90's over the years and never worn one out. But we go cross country and the leg shields get in the way hence our inclination to a Honda Monkey (for her) and a Honda Ape (for me). Nice sounding 4 stroke motors, none of this noisy two stroke piston ring breaking jobs.

C.

John.N - 2008-08-12 7:49 PM

My wife and I are rather restricted in the range we can cover with our bikes carried on our Auto-Sleeper Legend and are considering replacing them with a lightweight motor scooter. Any recommendations for a suitable machine and suppliers of an appropriate carrier would be welcomed.

Have you thought about a Pedelec bike? Gives assistance when needed and most of them will give you about 35 kms on one charge.

Mike B. - 2008-08-12 8:08 PM

Hi John

A lot depends on what you want to do and how much combined wieght you and the Mrs are. We have used a 50cc Jinlun which can be bought brand new for about £800.00 OTR from Scootex near Chepstowe for about 2 years now with no problems except very steep hills.

We have a combined weight of 23 stones plus shopping, helmets etc and do ok. You can drive this on a car licence if you still have moped on it as it is classed as one. It is easy to load on a carrier and weighs just 75Kg. Mine goes in the garage but I have to take the mirrors off to get it through the door.

If you need a scooterack, Armitage Trailers of Ferrybridge offer a bespoke service www.armitagetrailers.com 0845 194 3701 they will extend/strengthen your chassis and fit a towbar & rack at a reasonable price and if you have a garage on your van they do a 'shoe' which the bike wheel goes into and is then strapped down with ratchets instead. Do make sure you have enough payload to take all this though as you have to include the towbar & rack weight in the equation.

On a positive note given the fuel prices of late-our bike is £50 pa insurance, £15 pa tax and does about 100 miles to a gallon! It's also a lot of fun in traffic jams.

Hope this helps and hope you have fun-look out for Hells Grannies on a Blue & Silver Jinlun!

Regards

Mike

I notice you are quoting your combined weight + extras + the weight of the scooter, Is this for the purpose of the allowable payload, I don't quite understand . Are you saying that two people can be/ are allowed to be carried on a 50cc scooter? I looked at their website and the scooter looks quite nice but, unless I missed it, I couldn't see where the permissable max. weight was quoted or that you could carry a pillion. We have a garage on our MH which currently has facilities built into it for 2 bikes, but we don't have bikes.

peter - 2008-08-13 10:51 PM

I think he was refering to the weight that the scooter can carry, with it's 90cc motor.

Peter, I thought he was referring to a Jinlun of 50cc, that is why I was asking as my license would not allow me to ride over the 50cc limit, am I mistaken?

Hi Bootbags

Yes I was referring to the scooter-ours is a 50cc and has a dual seat & 2 footrests and is perfectly capable and legal to carry a passenger on it providing you have a full car license which says 'moped' on it. Depending on your combined peronal weights (Not the van paylod) it will carry you ok-you won't overtake many Harleys but then you are supposed to be on holiday aren't you?

Speedwise it will do about 40mph 2 up on flat, 50 downhil and about 20 uphill.

Remember it is for convenience not TT racing and you'll be fine.

If you want any further info or a picture mail me

Mike

Archived