Major Fiat/Peugot/Citroen problems/Reversing Judder

RandM

Yes we have the judder. The van has recently been for a service as it is 12 months old. The Fiat servicing manager put the following on the invoice "Judder in reverse. Road tested & found to be the normal shudder in reverse, common to this model, at this moment in time there is no way we can improve it.

It is an Adria Twin 120 3.3 tn. so that we have only one further year of vehicle warranty.(MMM Motorhome Matters Aug) The above may well be of some value and it was obtained thanks to MMM editorials which are very much appreciated.

I was recently told by an engineer with many years experience of Fiat vans that with this new model the ratio of the reverse gear has been increased. With the experience Ferrari and Maserati etc. to call on you would think that Fiat would do better, but this might be exactly what has happened. Peugot have also similar sources and evidently they all find their way to Sevel.

You would expect errors to be sorted out with new versions, but think about water drainage under the windscreen. We had this several years ago with a coachbuilt Pilote (but not with a subsequent Pilote A class. Well you wouldn't would you).

So where does this leave us. I can't believe that only 300 people are involved. I would have thought 3000 would be nearer the mark. The cost of replacing the judder (with a new one) I am told is about £500 and evidently the reason for Fiat's reluctance to do anything. Only two have been changed locally I understand one of which was the result of a young chap getting into the family motorhome and getting it stuck in grass. He had then revved and revved digging a larger and larger hole.

It is good to see on this Forum that there may be a move by Peugot.

So how can Fiat be encouraged to cure the problem for us. MMM are doing a first class job but they must obviously keep within tactful limits which they most certainly do.

A lawyer is not likely to want to handle claims for £500 but Fiat might take notice if there were 3000 or so and legal expenses of £1000 per time were to be expected. A lawyer might well gain a lot from an advertisement in MMM with a variety of cases coming from motorhomers. A half page might do readers and the lawyer a lot of good.

It has been mentioned that we should expect to receive something suitable for the purpose for the not inconsiderable sums expended. This is so but only applies between buyer and seller, i.e. motorhome owner and their vendor (dealer). The chain from here to Fiat is through the converter and each dealer would have to be sufficiently interested to persue the matter and the same with the converter. Direct action with Fiat is what is needed I would hope that a way can be found.

Archived