Fiamma Back Boxes

Bob Elswood

Hello everyone,

I have a Compass Avantgarde camper and was hoping to free up some room in the van when travelling.

It is the lighter but bulkier items that I have in mind.

I already have a Fiamma Carry Bike Rack professionally fitted on the back of the van.

I think the Fiamma Back Boxes come with a mounting kit included for their Bike Racks.

Because I am nearly on the limit with space on my drive I fold the Bike Rack back on it's holding clips when parked so as not to encroach on the pavement.

My question is: Would it be easy for me to attach and unattach the Box

from the bike rack or is it a more permanent fixture?

If so I may have to increase the length or my drive and so cost would come into the equation.

Hope someone can give me some info.

Regards Bob Elswood.

I have a back box and it just fits to the bike rack just like a roof box does to a car...they are easy enought to unscrew the bolts but it is a bit of a pain as you will have to empty the box first.

But id do like the ability to carry my chairs and ramps etc as well as the dirty kit so the m/home is left free to be cluttered up by other things !!!!!!

Could you replace the bolts by padlocks in some way? When we had an old Elddis motorhome we had an already fitted strong rear nudge bar and had 2 square section pieces of tubing welded on running from it at a right angle and fixed to the chassis underneath. Into these slotted a rear scooter rack, with similar but smaller diameter bars sticking out - we had holes drilled into the outer and inner bars through which we places 2 long 'loop' type padlocks. It made putting it on and taking it off much easier than if we'd used bolts and we didn't have to worry about them coming undone or the rack being pinched.

Just a thought ...

The fittings are basically 'U' bolts that fit aound the bike rack, with nuts spreaders on the inside of the box,so, yes you can take it on and off to park up at home, a bit of a pain but do-able.

I have a 500 litre Fiamma Box on a Fiamma bike rack, it takes our chairs,table etc., BUT the max load including the box can only be 60kg,

which is the max load of the bike rack.

I wouldn't be without mine. :D :D

Thanks for the info everyone.

I have now made my mind up that a back box would be a viable option.

We don't use the van on a weekly basis for camping trips so as long as I can remove the box after a trip then it will not be a problem.

I will bear in mind the weight limitations but I don't expect to load heavy items in the box.

Regards Bob E

Archived