Robbery Whilst Asleep

Bonney

I recently returned from France.We were broken into whilst asleep.The thieves disconnected our battery,removed a panel of glass and let themselves in while we slept.They got away with money, cards and a camera.We were staying near Villefranche,in a motorway stop.We now know better!I wonder how many folks are aware of the dangers of staying overnight on one of these places?

I actually woke while the thief was in cab and shouted.He slammed the door and shot off in a waiting car - it was a professional job.

Hi Bonney,

Sorry to read about your story, arn't they S.O.D's - we had the same thing happen to us while parked for the night in the Aires, at Arromanche three years ago at 0230 hrs, we've stayed there many times before without problems, I was awake at the time, my wife drinking a hot lemsip, I pulled the curtain back when I heard the central locking cab doors activating, and they ran off.

Since then have fitted door safety chains (domestic type) to the cab doors and habitation door, magnetic switches to them and all other openings, windows locker doors etc.... cause a loud sounder to activate.

We've been raided in the Forestry Commission site Savernake forest near Marlborough too - some 30 odd years ago, so it can happen anywhere. We have often stopped on the A16 service station southbound just outside Calais with no problems.

Regards Terry

Bonney - 2008-08-15 7:07 PM

I recently returned from France.We were broken into whilst asleep.The thieves disconnected our battery,removed a panel of glass and let themselves in while we slept.They got away with money, cards and a camera.We were staying near Villefranche,in a motorway stop.We now know better!I wonder how many folks are aware of the dangers of staying overnight on one of these places?

I actually woke while the thief was in cab and shouted.He slammed the door and shot off in a waiting car - it was a professional job.

Hi Bonney

sorry to here about your robbery but I 'am a bit mystified how they disconnected your battery?

I am assuming that they removed the panel of glass first ? if this is so which panel and how, in case it could happen to more of us.

Have you got an alarm ? because my alarm has the bonnet wired and would set the alarm off as soon as the lid was oppened.

We also have internal sensors which would have gone off as soon as they entered.

Terry

Hi Bonney

Sorry to hear about your problem and I hope that you didnt let it spoil your holiday, we didnt.

You might like to take some small satisfaction from this though.

We were robbed on a Aire in about the same place, we were well cleaned out too but as I travel through that area quiet frequently I deliberately stopped on or near that Aire six different nights waiting to get our revenge, low and behold on the seventh night there was light, and blood on our baseball bat.

Smashed lights and screen on their car too, they left in a hell of a hurry.

So did I too though, in the oposite direction.

Bonney,

so sorry to hear that also like Terry I wonder what sort of alarm you have ?

If they done it to ours hopefully the Cat one we paid for would do is job .

Have to say so far its lived up to even us being a little robust inside the vehicle it only takes so much and then its off screaming ..

Hope you are not dwelling on the experience dont let it put you off france .

Hi Terry

They basically used some kind of tool to open the bonnet - we don't have an alarm fitted ( going to rectify this now!).They did this silently.This then meant that the central locking was disabled as were internal lights to cab.They then took out a panel of glass on the driver's side,the fixed pane behind the mirror,and let themselves in.I awoke with this big guy in the cab helping himself.He got my rucksack with a lot of stuff.I shouted and scared him off but the whole thing was disturbing.

Can anybody help me with alarms - I would like to get something fitted,locks or alarm but not sure what is best.My wife is scared,and sleeping is not easy now in the van!We live in North Wales.Anybody got any suggestions for alarms,security?

Hey Syd

You are braver than me!

Unfortunately,I cannot recommend that anybody has a go,as some of these guys are tooled up and ready for action.Best to make everybody aware,take precautions,and get an alarm - if I had one this would not have happened I think.I wonder whether they will get vilolent though if the alarms foil them?

I fully endorse David's suggestion to go to Van Bitz, they are good people to deal with and certainly in the "First Division" so far as motorhome alarms are concerned. Very sorry to hear of your experience, not pleasant.

Stuart.

Guest JudgeMental

Yes it is surprising the amount of people still unaware of dangers of sleeping on motorway Airers...

Just returned from Italian lakes and two English family's stayng on site were robbed at the motorway Aire just south of the Gottard tunnel. So I sugest avoiding this one in particular as well as Lyon arera and all the rest to boot.

it is so easy to find somewhere safe to stop just a little way from motorways

Bill

I consider myself a light sleeper, in fact I AM a light sleeper, but still I didn't wake up until the low life were actually in our cab some years ago. On the way in they had also broken the passenger door lock without me waking. I think that maybe we sleep deeper than we think after a, sometimes long, drive. Incidentally, it's always around 2-3am isn't it, when we sleep our deepest.

Fit an alarm and some deadlocks, also, reversing sensors placed at strategic points will act as a proximity alarm at night (or any time they are turned on). I have found that most times the revering alarm is set of by big dogs! On one occasion it was the local police having a look round, most welcome.

Geoff

>:-) Urr so sorry to read about your experience, I dont sleep well and hear every sound, whilst we have an alarm and sensor, we had extra outside lock fittted over entry door and we always place a strap (similiar to aircraft seat belt)round passenger door handle to drivers door handle, thus they cannot be opened, (without brut force) my husband did think I was being a bit over the top, so I read him your unfortunate experience, but again I say the best protection, is on a site, We very seldon use aires, :-D hope this hasnt put you off enjoying m/h

Guest Tracker

If a thief uses a Stanley type knife to cut out a quarter light window rubber they will also use it to cut a webbing or rope security strap. Any thief tooled up enough to get in would probably carry a sharp edged blade of some sort?

If one is going to use that method for security I would suggest a metal or cable item locked in the middle of the van where it can't easily be reached via a window but can be reached by you if needed for an emergency escape.

We do set the perimeter alarm at night but with the dog generally asleep on the cab floor we can't set the internal cab volumetric alarm - not that Rosie is much of a guard dog - however she does bark when woken at night by outside sounds - sounds that we rarely hear ourselves.

Hi there

Villefranche just outside Lyon.

I wonder how many folks realise how useless the gendarmerie are in this situation.

My experience was dreadful.

A lorry driver at the motorway stop did his best to help with his mobile,but the police asked us to drive to them.Not much chance at 5.00am and unable to start my van.

It was only when it got light did I see how they had got in.

I reconnected the battery and drove to the police.Neither the local police or gendarmerie could cancel my credit cards,because they cannot dial out of France on their phones.Can you believe that?Just think what happens if a child gets taken! Even after the Madeleine case nothing has happened.The kidnappers would make it across a border and the police cannot even dial out of the country.

Just one piece of advise - take a spare mobile,and keep it hidden in the van.We had to wait for the shops to open to buy another mobile to contact UK.

I have nothing but praise for the lorry driver who took a great deal of his time to help us.I have not a lot to say about the police though.

Guest Tracker
Good point about mobile phones - we do carry two (both unlocked and free to use with any sim from any country) just in case one packs up - as it did in Norway this year!

Hi Bonney

I'm so sorry to hear of your break-in, it's horrible, we had our motorhome attacked at 3.00 am in Holland in June and, whilst it was pure vandalism and not theft, it was still very upsetting so I do empathise with you and your wife.

We have used aires a lot in France, Germany etc and have never had a problem at all until the one in Holland, but that was peculiar to Holland apparently! It certainly hasn't put us off using aires and we will continue to do so, but we never ever use the ones on or nearby motorways as it's too easy for miscreants to get away so that makes anyone staying there much more tempting to them.

For an alarm etc, coud I suggest you contact Dave Newell, he's a frequent contributor to this forum and has a place at Telford so not too far from you. He comes highly recommended for all sorts of products including various security systems. Have a look at:

http://www.davenewell.co.uk/

As with all systems, though, they are only any good if you use them.

Guest JudgeMental

But anywhere near Lyon has been a no go area for years....the police used to move you on from motorway aires and prevent you from parking there - because of the sheer number of break ins.

Archived