Robbery Whilst Asleep

Bonney

Mel B - 2008-08-16 6:26 PM Hi Bonney I'm so sorry to hear of your break-in, it's horrible, we had our motorhome attacked at 3.00 am in Holland in June and, whilst it was pure vandalism and not theft, it was still very upsetting so I do empathise with you and your wife. We have used aires a lot in France, Germany etc and have never had a problem at all until the one in Holland, but that was peculiar to Holland apparently! It certainly hasn't put us off using aires and we will continue to do so, but we never ever use the ones on or nearby motorways as it's too easy for miscreants to get away so that makes anyone staying there much more tempting to them. For an alarm etc, coud I suggest you contact Dave Newell, he's a frequent contributor to this forum and has a place at Telford so not too far from you. He comes highly recommended for all sorts of products including various security systems. Have a look at: http://www.davenewell.co.uk/ As with all systems, though, they are only any good if you use them.

Mel

Sorry to nag but you're making the "classic" error of confusing your aires.  Bonney was on a motorway (autoroute) rest area or service area, usually signed on the autoroutes in France as Aire de [something or other], the ones you're referring to (I hope!) are the "aires de services camping car" which, with a handful of exceptions are not on autoroutes, and are more often in rural areas at the edge of small towns villages.  The majority of the latter, although not all, are expressly intended for overnight stopovers.

The French police strongly recommend against overnighting on autoroute aires of any kind, whether designated as "aires camping cars", or not.  The few aires on autoroutes that are designated "aires camping car" are intended only to provide service facilities, that is to say dump station and fresh water supply, possibly with electrical hook up available for limited period.  The rule is: use, and then move on. 

The A6/A7 from Beaune south to Orange is one of the most popular holiday routes in Europe.  For that reason, it attracts nearly all the itinerant chancers in Europe.  They prey on the tired travellers who sleep at rest areas and filling station car parks along the route, and have done so for years.

I am sorry for Bonney's experience, but just don't do this, folks.  In truth, Bonney is just another entry to the sad, sad, statistics of theft up and down this road.

Syd

You are a very, very, naughty boy!!  :-)  :-)  Think they'll be back?? ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2008-08-17 7:25 PM

Syd You are a very, very, naughty boy!!  :-)  :-)  Think they'll be back?? ;-)

Hi Brian

You have cautioned me against this before but I went prepared.

I have had installed reversing/parking sensors around the caravan that are run through earphones so that while sitting inside in the dark I would know when they were coming. Had quiet a few false alarms though.

If these particular ones come again they will have had to spend quiet a bit of money on their car because it didnt start straight away ha ha ha, and at least one of them will have had to seek medical attention first.

It was very exciting, you should try it sometime

bob b - 2008-08-17 8:02 PM

Syd's principle of retribution is "an eye for an eye" ........plus the head ! :-D

Hi Bob

This is the only language the thieveing barstewards understand.

Suprise was on my side and I made the most of it.

I may do it again at the beginning of September should I get the chance.

Good luck Shipmate ! I'm with you. When I go travelling I also "take measures" to ensure that I can look after myself. I'll fight to keep whats mine.

I was pulled in at Portsmouth docks whilst boarding the Bilbao ferry a couple of years ago. A security officer did a cursory search of my motorhome. I asked him what exactly was he looking for ?. He replied "are you carrying any offensive weapons ?"

I replied no....without blushing.

I can only imagine that Motorhomer's are fighting back. That won't do at all !

Guest JudgeMental

I always have a rolled up copy of MMM and a can of RALJEX spray handy lol

The spray is apparently as good as CS gas if you get them in the face :-D

Hi Geoff,

The alarm on link http://tinyurl.com/5b6zxe activates by sensing a small variation in the vehicle electrical system, and it has an adjustable trembler to sense any physical shock too.

Once set, the alarm will activate if the central locking, cab light or any light, ignition circuit is switched on or activated, even a mobile phone plugged in and charging or ringing.

On the physical side, the trembler sensitivity can be adjusted to activate the alarm if the bonnet release is pulled, if someone is swiping your catalytic converter 8-) but not if you turn over in bed.

It seems to respond better to sharp noises rather than dull thuds, but it can be set to respond to dull thuds too 8-)

Good idea of yours to install an underbonnet light that activates when the bonnet is on the first catch. I've wired my alarm straight onto the battery, and hidden the wiring in an existing loom.

I recommend running another earth from the negative side of the battery to both sides of the bracket screws which screw into the horn. The only problem I've had, was one of the screws oxidised and it went high resistance intermittently causing the alarm to false activate - mind you it was over five years old then!!

Regards Terry

bob b - 2008-08-17 8:27 PM

Good luck Shipmate ! I'm with you. When I go travelling I also "take measures" to ensure that I can look after myself. I'll fight to keep whats mine.

I was pulled in at Portsmouth docks whilst boarding the Bilbao ferry a couple of years ago. A security officer did a cursory search of my motorhome. I asked him what exactly was he looking for ?. He replied "are you carrying any offensive weapons ?"

I replied no....without blushing.

I can only imagine that Motorhomer's are fighting back. That won't do at all !

8-) At the tunnel three years ago boarding the 0300! the GB security officer took the rounders bat from the door pocket and said this is an offence weapon!! I replied we play rounders to which he said where is the ball. In the same pocket I said-ok you can go and board. No questions about the carving knives in the kitchen draw!! Pip pip. ;-)

Brian Kirby - 2008-08-17 7:25 PM
Mel B - 2008-08-16 6:26 PM Hi Bonney I'm so sorry to hear of your break-in, it's horrible, we had our motorhome attacked at 3.00 am in Holland in June and, whilst it was pure vandalism and not theft, it was still very upsetting so I do empathise with you and your wife. We have used aires a lot in France, Germany etc and have never had a problem at all until the one in Holland, but that was peculiar to Holland apparently! It certainly hasn't put us off using aires and we will continue to do so, but we never ever use the ones on or nearby motorways as it's too easy for miscreants to get away so that makes anyone staying there much more tempting to them. For an alarm etc, coud I suggest you contact Dave Newell, he's a frequent contributor to this forum and has a place at Telford so not too far from you. He comes highly recommended for all sorts of products including various security systems. Have a look at: http://www.davenewell.co.uk/ As with all systems, though, they are only any good if you use them.

Mel

Sorry to nag but you're making the "classic" error of confusing your aires.  Bonney was on a motorway (autoroute) rest area or service area, usually signed on the autoroutes in France as Aire de [something or other], the ones you're referring to (I hope!) are the "aires de services camping car" which, with a handful of exceptions are not on autoroutes, and are more often in rural areas at the edge of small towns villages.  The majority of the latter, although not all, are expressly intended for overnight stopovers.

The French police strongly recommend against overnighting on autoroute aires of any kind, whether designated as "aires camping cars", or not.  The few aires on autoroutes that are designated "aires camping car" are intended only to provide service facilities, that is to say dump station and fresh water supply, possibly with electrical hook up available for limited period.  The rule is: use, and then move on. 

Er, no Brian, I'm not! Unfortunately a lot of people think that because they are called 'aires' they are okay to use for overnight stops, they don't know the difference and are therefore lulled into thinking that they are okay to stay there. I'm sure Bonney and others who are not so 'experienced' will appreciate your taking the time to differentiate. :-D

Steady Boys :-)

Just for completeness, do I remember a forum posting a few years ago, warning about stopping overnight on motorway rest areas, coupled with the Toll ticket having a finite authorised life (?)

Or is that something I remembered that didn't happen - yet again (lol)

Regards Terry

Terrytraveller - 2008-08-19 11:40 AM

Steady Boys :-)

Just for completeness, do I remember a forum posting a few years ago, warning about stopping overnight on motorway rest areas, coupled with the Toll ticket having a finite authorised life (?)

Or is that something I remembered that didn't happen - yet again (lol)

Regards Terry

Hi Terry,

The only country that I know of that has a time limit on a motorway ticket is Portugal. If you go over the 12 hour limit it will cost you €60 plus the toll fee. 8-) 8-)

On our winter travels to the sun we often spend two nights/three days on the Italian Autostrada with the same ticket.

Don

Terry, your post jogged a memory that I had read the same thing somewhere and I have just found it again.

The Caravan Club's Europe 1 book from 2007, page 127, just after a paragraph describing the different types of French motorway aires states "It shoud be noted that toll (peage) tickets are only valid for 24 or 48 hours depending on the particular autoroute used - check your ticket for details."

Bob

Archived