Dometic 2-door fridge freezer. Possible hazard.

libby

Am I the only one?

3 days ago I received an instruction from Dometic GmbH. Postfach10 10 51.57010 Siegen.

There is a POSSIBLE hazard with a selection of 2-door fridge freezers relating to a gas leak.

The instruction explains that some inferior screws were fitted to some models, that may lead to the cooling unit's bottom fastening screws becoming loose, possibly leading to leaks with associated gas leakage.

The information details that those persons with vehicle appliances with specific serial numbers must inform Dometic by phone or the filling in of a standard website registration form.

The informants will be advised where to take the vehicle to have the appliance rectified NO CHARGE. They also advise DO NOT use the appliance on GAS........... Only use 12 & 240v.

I can place the whole 3 page info on here if required by members.

Bill

Libby,

You are not the only one. We had the same recall last year. Called Dometic, and they told us of the nearest dealer to get things sorted.

Arranged an appointment at a mutually convenient time, and was in and out of the dealers in 45 mins. All sorted, nothing to pay, and a piece of paper to prove that the work had been completed.

As it is a possible gas feed pipe that is in danger, you must bet it done.

My letter of information was dated 8th August 2008 and arrived with me on 14th August. Yes it quite likely was an older fault.

Many hundreds of units were possibly produced so perhaps the company are now informing the more recent owners.

LB

libby:

There have been several earlier forum threads relating to this Dometic recall and this link retrieves what is probably the earliest one:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9539&posts=11

Thousands of appliances will have been involved, but I'm a mite surprised Dometic has taken so long to get round to contacting you. Many people wil have contacted Dometic direct (the recall was well publicised on forums and in motorhome magazines) and these are likely to have been the first to have their fridges modified. Not sure how Dometic dealt with this - whether they worked off guarantee cards, or collected data from motorhome manufacturers, or what, but it's a racing certainty that some appliances that should be modified won't be.

Dometic's "inferior screw" explanation for the recall should be taken with a pinch of salt in my view. If the fixing-screw was suspect, then (assuming the screw hadn't actually failed when the appliance was inspected) all that would be needed would be for the suspect screw to be replaced with a 'good' one. But the recall modification involves replacing the original screw with a massive stainless-steel pop-rivet and adding two extra support brackets (also pop-riveted) to reinforce the cooling-tube structure's attachment to the rear of the fridge/freezer. It's more plausible IMO that the original screw-fixed support-bracket (a flimsy looking bit of thin metal) has proven not to be up to the task or that its weld to the cooling-tubes has fractured on some appliances. Whatever the case, once the modification has been carried out, the cooling tubes definitely won't be going anywhere!

Just a word of warning ... I contacted Dometic as when I first became aware of this early last year as we bought a van with a split fridge in Feb 2007. I rang the German contact number and got a chap who spoke excellent English. I explained what fridge we had and he said we didn't need the modification on our model .... fast forward to February this year at the NEC, spoke to the Dometic man (as we had a problem with the fridge not working properly), and he advised that he thought we would need the safety modification! We actually took the lower vent cover off the outside and took a photo of the bottom rear which we then took back and showed him and he confirmed that yes, ours was one of the 'at risk' ones!!!!

Soooooo ... if the people in Germany tell you not to worry, I'd suggest getting a second opinion for Dometic's UK arm, emailing them a photo of your installation if possible, they can then categorically tell you if you need to have it done or not.

Archived