Euro exchange..?

Den

little-jack - 2008-08-21 6:46 PM

I've used Nationwide Debit and Credit cards abroad for the last 10 years - only the debit card for cash withdrawals of course. Have always found the exchange rate from Nationwide on both cards was better than being offered by any other outlet.

Never been charged for drawing cash on debit card in France/ Spain/ Portugal.

In France last year cash machine did not dispense money (but returned card) got a note from the bank, when reported to Nationwide on return, money was refunded within 7 days.

little jack

Now thats got me worried 8-) that happened to us in Frieberg!! the card came back and no money, we were inside a bank so I asked one of the cashiers to help, the lady in front of us had been having trouble and was looking very annoyed. The cashier said we should ring our Bank as they mst be a problem with the card, I asked him to do it which he did following the German instructions he turned his back while I entered the pin no; and we got our money he said that it was alright the tansaction wouldnt have gone through twice! we have only had one statement so it will be interesting to see if anything shows on the next one.

only one problem with Nationwide in don't know how many years of using their Debit card home and abroad and about 2 years using their credit card home and abroad [used to hammer Tesco credit card to get clubcard points but lost interest when P&O vouchers came out of Deals]

and that is

too many people are opting in to Nationwide and now I can't transfer an ISA / TESSA / TOISA thingy cos they're inundated!!

they're too popular

must admit never ever go into their branches - like Richard - do it all online, and it's a breeze.

only once had acard eaten by an ATM - and that was probably our fault anyway - the bank [in either Denmark or Germany] was open and sorted the problem efficiently.

so

Nationwide - Flex account + e-savings + Debit card and their credit card, easy-peasy

:->

I have two debit cards from nationwide, one with only £30.00 on it to use on ebay etc, i absent mindley used it to pay a camp site bill, £60.00, when i got home i had a letter to say that i had now got a overdraft, i had a fit, thinking that my account had been hacked.

Went to the branch, they said dont worry, we created a overdraft facility, no charge.

when i transfered the funds over, i was charged 18p in interest.

Think i will stick with them.

Can anyone tell me, is it wise to let them know when your going abroad? especially when we visit a few countries, incase they think of it as unusual behaviour and block your card, we haven't been able to go abroad for a few years now, but hopefully will put that right soon.

Pete

breakaleg - 2008-08-26 11:46 AM Can anyone tell me, is it wise to let them know when your going abroad? especially when we visit a few countries, incase they think of it as unusual behaviour and block your card, Pete

Hi Pete,

It's always advisable to let your bank know if you intend using your credit or debit cards abroad.

My daughter is going to OZ for three months in October and called in to the Halifax bank to make them aware that the card would be used in both OZ and Singapore, they asked for her return date, they then marked her account accordingly.

They also explained that had she not told them of her trip, then the card would definitely have been stopped, they also suggested that if her return date to the UK was changed, she should advise them and they would update her file.

Thanks bazza, its been five long years since i have been abroad due to an accident and a wife who worries in case i need to go to hospital abroad.

hopeing to go to belguimin october.

I have read of people having their cards blocked, but it wasn't the situation five years back.

pete

Archived