Baby A class recommendations 3500 kg max

Guest JudgeMental

Guest JudgeMental

Have been looking at a few of these compact A class vans... The Hymer exesis is one. the weight is good if accurate *-) at around 2800 & something kg in driving condition. It leaves a decent payload for some one on a restricted license (diabetic). Twin rear single beds ( a Mrs Mental stipulation:$ ) and an overall length of 6.7. It seems the best layout I have seen. The only downside is a limited kitchen and aluminum as opposed to a GRP shell. it is now on the new Ford 140 bhp chassis with 6 speed which I like.

have found a Hymer brochure on line but not a technical one......

Cathargo have a new baby A as well the Chic C-Line but it is expensive. Another is a Dethleffs but it is heavier then the Hymer.

anyone else looked at these? as comments would be appreciated plus any other recommendations?

Can't get to Düsseldorf this year as left it to late to get a convenient crossing, plus the "press day" is Friday leaving only Saturday.... as I have to get back for work Monday *-) may get to NEC instead but it is a poor relation to the German show.....

Guest JudgeMental
Thanks for the link but that is the old style exsis, which has been replaced with this one below...... a completely new baby A class, the Hymer Exsis I 562 I like this version with single rear beds.....

0679_27.JPG.0b1290bfd3e3ae3369e381d83acf1c4a.JPG

Guest JudgeMental
duffers - 2008-08-17 12:01 PM

thanks from me too for those links, this is the sort of thing that we would love to have as our next buy,

bit pricey but very tempting.

ray

how much are they here? I dread to think!

I would get one from Belgium. I have been quoted approx 45000 euro plus VAT. Mind you, thats without one of their English cousins, crying and pleading poverty lol

So...approx 42k before negotiations *-)

Hymer UK (just called them) approx £53.000 so quite a saving still from Europe even with poor exchange rate *-)

thanks, we cleared about £25k from sale of old van - so that's just err .. .. .. ..

another £20k to go

lottery win perhaps :-S

not attempted to import our own van before, but have heard that Hymer UK aka Brownhills get sniffy about warranty issues - no wonder they have had a few problems.

ray

Guest JudgeMental

My current Belgian dealer is 1.20 hours from the tunnel and the Hymer one a similar distance. If the hymer dealers service is anywhere near as good as my present EuraMobil dealer I know where I will be going next if I decide to get one.

May get to Düsseldorf after all for the last weekend........

Hi Eddy,

Lot's of vans in the Hymer and Rapido range that will fit the bill if width is not an issue but watch the payload with the longer models. My Rapido 924F came in at 3560 when loaded for travel, good job I specified 3850kg max. weight. I'm now very wary of taking the manufacturers weight on trust especially some of the 7mtr vans.

Bill

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Bill

Have had a look at German Hymer owners forum and a lot of frustration on there regards payloads with the B Class so these new vans look more suitable for me.

Am struggling a bit keeping mine legal with the 4 of us presently travelling. So a an extra 200kg would be useful. But have just discovered that the Hymer is not double floored so not fully winterised and mine is.

It seems that last year "van" style campers where all the rage and this year this baby A seems to be emerging..... will try and get to Düsseldorf and have a good look at whats around. Its a shame that EuraMobil have not entered this niche as they know how to build relatively lightweight vans.

Eddie

JudgeMental - 2008-08-17 8:40 PM

Hi Bill

Have had a look at German Hymer owners forum and a lot of frustration on there regards payloads with the B Class so these new vans look more suitable for me.

Am struggling a bit keeping mine legal with the 4 of us presently travelling. So a an extra 200kg would be useful. But have just discovered that the

Eddie

I've just imported a new Rapido M983 from France. Before our first trip last weekend, I loaded everything we need to take with us and went to the public weighbridge. To our disbeleif the van weighs 3600kg without myself or my wife in it.

We ordered the van beleiving the technical specification to be right: it says clearly : the unladen weight of the M983 is 3105 kg. it also define the unladen weight as the weight of the vehicle in working order, the driver(75kg), the gas, fresh water and fuel tanks up to 90% of their capacity with a tolerance of +/-5%.

I calculated our load to be no more that 250kg (wife=80kg, 2 bikes=50kg and 120kg for clothes, bedding and kitchen items.)

(driver, water, gas should already be included in 3105 as Rapido says)

The fitted options include auto box(extra 30kg) a sat(10kg) and 4metres awning(30kg).

If the spec were correct it would have been ok for us with maybe some kg to spare.

The manufacturers are quoting figures they know it's difficult to prove right or wrong, plus they always add that +/-5%. On a 3000kg van that is a 150kg.

The solution for us is to forget having bikes and ensure that both tanks are empty when we travel. (still not sure to travel a 3500 or less)

So before signing that order, get the dealer to garanty the weight printed on the spec.

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Abb and welcome to the forum :-D

Yours is quite a large A class, so not to surprised that you are having difficulties. Most of us carry far to much stuff but economys can be made

Manufacturers technical info cannot be relied upon. But I think a 5% margin for error is a bit rich! You really need to look for reviews of particular vans you are interested in on the German mags/websites as they thoroughly investigate weights and print all. plus reviews can de downloaded (for a few £) as a PDF file, then you can translate text via an auto translator.

Best to get the weight written into your contract or a visit to a weighbridge a condition of purchase, but this is relatively unheard of in the UK.

2 bikes @ 50 kg! are they electric? as that is extremely heavy for conventional bikes......we carry 4 and they weigh a total of 50kg max

I would visit the weighbridge again, unloaded this time to see how much spare capacity you have and do your sums from there. We travel with only the bare minimum of water and most have to do this. Also you can lose the spare wheel and have puncture seal fitted - this can save approx another 40kg.

I expect in the future once the children stop coming with us to be able to stay within 3500kg more successfully, but as your experience shows you really need to get the right van from the start and add the weight of all fitted extras etc...before purchasing *-)

If the Excis is successful for Hymer, I'd expect a variant to appear from another part of the Hymer stable sooner or later, Eriba, Burstner, TEC etc etc.

The nearest alternative might be a Knaus V liner.  Renault Master base, but I'm not sure what they have in store for 2009, so can't say if there will be a 4 berth version.

The Pilote City Van would possibly fit the bill, although it has rather ice cream van looks.  It comes on the Fiat base.  :-)

Guest JudgeMental

Hi Brian

I would not touch a Fiat, not until they resolve the current well publicised problems, which maybe next year as Peugeot seem to have a fix.

Hymer originally had the Exsis on a Fiat base and changed to the Ford. According to Belgian Hymer dealer, based on spec, low chassis, weight and price. TEC have something, it look very nice but but its heavy and they are aluminium skinned. unfortunate, as EuraMobil dealer is also a TEC agent.

Had an argument with a tree again this summer and Just had to use some T Cut *-) Did something similar a few years ago and gouged a long tear out of alloy skinned van.

Again courtesy Hymer owners forum, lots of reported problems with hail stone damage and roofs in some cases needing reskinning. So will stick with GRP if possible. would go for the low roof EuraMobil terrestra its my favorite van but only a 3 berth......

JudgeMental - 2008-08-18 12:15 PM

Hi Abb and welcome to the forum :-D

Also you can lose the spare wheel and have puncture seal fitted - this can save approx another 40kg.

but as your experience shows you really need to get the right van from the start and add the weight of all fitted extras etc...before purchasing *-)

Hello JudgeMental,

Thanks for your reply.

I thought I did my sums right before ordering the van. I allowed 50kg for the bikes knowing well that they only weigh 25kg etc....

This is my fourth van and honestly I never took the previous vans to the weighbridge. Maybe if I did I would've been more aware of the problem and would've taken the appropriate steps when ordering my next van.

As to the spare wheel, I must have one. I just would not contemplate touring outside UK without one. To save weight I thought of taking a spare tyre only, then I thought what then if the steel rim need changing too!!!!. I'll just have to face buying it and carrying it!

Oh yes buying a spare wheel! On collection day, the dealer said 'by the way Rapido no longer supply spare wheel. Instead they supply a small compressor and a special kit...'. What a blow! It was too late to do anything about it. just grin and bear it.

So if you are buying new, make sure to mention it as a condition for the sale just before signing the order.....

Guest JudgeMental

Have never had a puncture in a camper in 20 odd years so will take the chance.are you really prepared to change the wheel on a fully loaded van at the side of a motorway etc..... Puncture seal is a safety measure as well, as it claims to either prevent a puncture or slow it down considerably, allowing you to come to a safe standstill. thats why I changed. It is also water based so can be washed out, if you use what the dealer supplied you, it may get you home but the tyre cannot normally be repaired.....

Just back from trip to Italy and have checked tyres and not needed any air. pressure the same as when I had the stuff added before we left. I would normally need to top up at least once on a trip like this.

JudgeMental - 2008-08-18 8:53 PM

Have never had a puncture in a camper in 20 odd years so will take the chance.are you really prepared to change the wheel on a fully loaded van at the side of a motorway etc..... Puncture seal is a safety measure as well, as it claims to either prevent a puncture or slow it down considerably, allowing you to come to a safe standstill. thats why I changed. It is also water based so can be washed out, if you use what the dealer supplied you, it may get you home but the tyre cannot normally be repaired.....

Just back from trip to Italy and have checked tyres and not needed any air. pressure the same as when I had the stuff added before we left. I would normally need to top up at least once on a trip like this.

You may be right, but I'am going on a grand tour taking me to France, Spain, Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, France then home. I'm hoping to be away from mid-October to mid-April. Would I chance it without a spare? I bet you would not.

By the way since you've just returned from Italy and I know from previous posting that you've been to Italy many a time, I'll be grateful for any information that you may think would be of help to tour Italy or part of it.

JudgeMental - 2008-08-16 1:22 PM

Have been looking at a few of these compact A class vans... The Hymer exesis is one. the weight is good if accurate *-) at around 2800 & something kg in driving condition. It leaves a decent payload for some one on a restricted license (diabetic). Twin rear single beds ( a Mrs Mental stipulation:$ ) and an overall length of 6.7. It seems the best layout I have seen. The only downside is a limited kitchen and aluminum as opposed to a GRP shell. it is now on the new Ford 140 bhp chassis with 6 speed which I like.

have found a Hymer brochure on line but not a technical one......

Hi Judge I'm interest in these too, so thanks for the post. Wonder if you could tell us where you found the brochure for the I562 - I've had no luck.

V

Guest JudgeMental
Abb - 2008-08-18 9:49 PM

JudgeMental - 2008-08-18 8:53 PM

You may be right, but I'am going on a grand tour taking me to France, Spain, Morrocco, Algeria, Tunisia, Sicily, Italy, France then home. I'm hoping to be away from mid-October to mid-April. Would I chance it without a spare? I bet you would not.

By the way since you've just returned from Italy and I know from previous posting that you've been to Italy many a time, I'll be grateful for any information that you may think would be of help to tour Italy or part of it.

I am a purely a school holiday traveler at the moment and look forward to being able to do such a trip as you are planning....

There are a few seasoned travelers on here who can advise, it may be worth starting a thread on the subject?

But my thoughts are these..... Spain, North Africa for the winter sounds wonderful, but personally I would think weather in Italy/Sicily would be better a little later. I would probably delay start a little and return later after enjoying an Italian spring :-D

Archived