French Tolls

eddie123

We are planning a trip to the area around Agde on the Med coast of France in September. Our MH is 7.25 m long (Burstner Solano T710). Any idea what I should budget for in toll fees if I make maximum use of Toll roads? Any other advice much appreciated. Going via Calais I should add.

Eddie :-D

Guest JudgeMental

very roughly I think approx half as much again as fuel - tolls are not cheap!

for us to Italy (similar distance) approx £250 fuel each way this summer.So you could add an additional £200 -250 on tolls for a return trip.

this is a rough guess.....while you await more accurate information :-D

Hi

Calais to Spanish border (Irun) about 675 miles in my Burstner Solano t700 £100 each way 50% more than a car.

Calais Rouen Le Mans Bayonne

It is the fast way to travel you can keep up a true average of 70mph when you cruise at 130kph but at busy times 45 mins at the toll booths to pay we have ben caught like that several times??

Colin

Thanks all for info. The viamichelin site is excellent. It estimates for a one way trip - tolls 59.60 Euro and petrol 95.45 Euro but I presume theses are for cars, so they will be on the conservative side. I'll explore the site further to see if it can be adjusted to reflect MH costs.

cheers

Ed

There is often disagreement at toll booths regarding the correct class for motorhomes. Here are the official definitions.

http://www.autoroutes.fr/preparez-votre-voyage/classification-des-vehicules.html

The larger motorhomes will find themselves in classe 3. Class 2 M/Hs need to be under 3500kg and under 3 metres.

On my last tour of France in Apr and May I was charged as Class 3 as many times as class 2. My weight is 3100kg and my height is 3 metres.

Phil.

Any other advice much appreciated.

I've yet to use a toll road!! Several reasons.

They cost too much.

I would be tempted to drive faster than my average 90/100kph and therefore increase my fuel consumption.

I get bored enough driving on the non-toll motorways on my route from Valencia to Dunkerque. Much prefer the N roads and seeing towns and villages.

Cheaper fuel from supermarkets than motorway services.

Lots of Aires in towns and villages for overnighting

and/or doing ablutions.

Can do Valencia to Dunkerque in three days without too much stress.

derek500 - 2008-08-18 11:57 AM

Any other advice much appreciated.

I've yet to use a toll road!! Several reasons.

They cost too much.

I would be tempted to drive faster than my average 90/100kph and therefore increase my fuel consumption.

I get bored enough driving on the non-toll motorways on my route from Valencia to Dunkerque. Much prefer the N roads and seeing towns and villages.

Cheaper fuel from supermarkets than motorway services.

Lots of Aires in towns and villages for overnighting

and/or doing ablutions.

Can do Valencia to Dunkerque in three days without too much stress.

Couldn't agree more, forget the Toll Roads and see the country and save your money for better things in life.

Bas

Hi Eddie,

If you are not already aware of it there is a stretch of coast road N112 Agde to Sete which has 2 to 3 miles ( my guess ) of free parking where the road runs adjacent to the beach.

It is busy even in September.

Archived