monets gardens - where can we stop overnight

jupe

At last I think I might finally get to see Monet's house & gardens. Doesn't seem to be any motorhome listed stops nearby but is it possible to stay in carpark overnight (always supposing there is parking for motorhomes at the gardens). Also any recommendations for good stops on the Loire river would be appreciated. Although we've travelling in France for many, many years (OK so we are getting old!!) we've never actually spent any time in the Loire area - just driven through and round it. Am hoping there is an art lover out there who has experience of visiting Giverny in their motorhome - (husband may be lover but art ---- no!).

Many thanks in high hopes

Jupeter

Hi jupeter

We visited Giverny a few years ago and stopped at a municipal site at Anet which is about 25 miles south west of the gardens. Not a brilliant site but o.k. for overnight.

There was parking for motorhomes in the grounds of the gardens but it may be a bit tight if you've got a large van.

They had a one way system to exit the place and the road out was single lane.

We had no problem with our van conversion ( 6m long).

Anet is 12 km north of Dreux on the D928 ( unless they've changed the number since).

:-|

Hi,

We tookour van to Giverny two years ago. Yes there is motorhome parking, but interestingly the area you are sent to is not in the large car parks on the opposite side of the road to the house but to the small car park almost next to the house. Yes the entry road is narrow, we missed it twice, and the car park is tight, but if you arrive early or at lunchtime, then you should be O.K. (we have a low profile coahbuilt, just under 7.0m long and we were fine). I think some vans were staying overnight, but we did not as were heading for the aire at Forges-les-Eaux (Dept 76) for a festival in the town. The garden really is worth visiting to be able to see Monets' paintings in real life. A great experience for any art lover.

Regarding aires on the Loire then Beaugency (west of Orleans on N152) is one of our favourites whilst Briare (east of Orleans on N7) allows parking right on the river front, next to where the large trip barges pull in and a short walk from the famous bridge. No services here but you can park overnight.

Hope this helps

robert and jean

Hi,

We visited Giverny last September and overnighted at St. Marcel about 10 km from there. A pleasant small and inexpensive site at the top of a very steep hill. However I was tempted to stay on the parking there, several people said they were staying and it is quite quiet. The site at St. Marcel was found from the CC Europe book, always a good source. I think the charge at the camping was 8 Euros.

Bill Ord

Hi,

I have visited Monets House & Garden a few times - good to visit at different times of the year when things look very different.

On each occasion I have slept in the top of the car park at the rear of the house, close to the greenhouses and had a good and peaceful night. If you do this you will usually have one or two others for company.

It is best to arrive early evening when all of the days visitors have left and the car park is empty enabling you to pick a good spot. This then enables you to enter and view the house and gardens fairly early next morning before all the coaches full of tourist parties arrive. At certain times of the year, visitor numbers are suffocating so the only way to really enjoy the experience is to be in and out early!

Previous experience also taught me to avoid the lower large parking area for buses etc where you will be moved on with enthusiatic zeal by the attendants.

Good luck,

Nobby

Archived