Fiat Ducato Floor Problems

fud3

We have a Swift Suntor 580PR bought unfortunately through Brownhills just before they went into liquidation / recervership what ever you want to call it. The floor between the van seats was damaged before we purchased the vehicle, though we did not find this until after purchasing the vehicle.

The problem is that a shoe heel (not mine I hasten to add, I think we ended up with a show van and though I can not proove it this is where the damage has occured) has gone through the vinyl of the floor due in my opinion to there being insufficient support to the floor vinyl.

To be fair to the new Brownhills they have resolved a lot of problems with the vehicle that we asked them to put correct, but this they are not dealing with, neither am I getting anywhere with Swift, as they say it is not there problem and that I should take the matter up with Fiat.

Does anyone else with a new Fiat Seville motorhome have the same problem with insufficient support to the floor between the cab seats. I have not spoken to Fiat yet as I think this is a problem for Swift to resolve as they are taking a vehicle which has a floor vinyl which is not fit for purpose for floors within a motor home, and they should have provided some form of additional support to the floor.

The soft area in the middle just behind the seats is not a fault as such. Under the soft area is a hole in the floor with a cover screwed down. Under that cover is the opening to let you get to the top of the fuel tank to service or replace the fuel pump. The soft area is a piece of hardish foam to insulate noise from the pump to the cab. On top of that is the cab flooring, in mine a rubber flooring. If walked on with normal shoes it just squashes down, but I could see stiletto heals being able to go through it.

hi there our lunar is just the same .between the seats just before you step on to caravan floor its  split. we had a new carpet fitted that covers all cab and through to rear so we don't notice it now.its a fiat problem have informed  fiat dealer ,they say will order a new mat .        i think it will do the same again .

fud3 - 2008-08-18 3:36 PM We have a Swift Suntor 580PR bought unfortunately through Brownhills just before they went into liquidation / recervership what ever you want to call it. The floor between the van seats was damaged before we purchased the vehicle, though we did not find this until after purchasing the vehicle. The problem is that a shoe heel (not mine I hasten to add, I think we ended up with a show van and though I can not proove it this is where the damage has occured) has gone through the vinyl of the floor due in my opinion to there being insufficient support to the floor vinyl. To be fair to the new Brownhills they have resolved a lot of problems with the vehicle that we asked them to put correct, but this they are not dealing with, neither am I getting anywhere with Swift, as they say it is not there problem and that I should take the matter up with Fiat. Does anyone else with a new Fiat Seville motorhome have the same problem with insufficient support to the floor between the cab seats. I have not spoken to Fiat yet as I think this is a problem for Swift to resolve as they are taking a vehicle which has a floor vinyl which is not fit for purpose for floors within a motor home, and they should have provided some form of additional support to the floor.

To be honest, I think both Fiat and Swift would have some justification in saying the floor has been abused.  It seems the damage is to the Fiat rubber cab mat, rather than to the Swift vinyl, but perhaps you could clarify?  Why do I say abuse?  Well, a stiletto heel exerts huge point load pressure.  It would be extremely unusual (though not inconceivable) for a delivery van driver to wear stilettos, and also quite unusual for someone in a motorhome to be wearing them (soft ground and all that).  If the culprit is something sharp being dropped, rather than a stiletto heel, then the answer would surely be that the cause is accidental damage.  Notwithstanding your reservations, I would suggest taking this up with your local Fiat commercial dealership to see if Fiat will replace the mat under warranty.  However, I wouldn't suggest a stiletto heel might be the culprit!

Ask yourself one question, how big a problem is it? Is it really worth the aggro? If yes, then Fiat would seem to be the people to ask if it's the part of the cab that hasn't been altered by Swift, however, if it has been damaged after it left Fiat then you can't really blame them for it. Brownhills (old style) sold you the van but Brownhills (new style) have obviously done all of your warranty etc work so I think they've played pretty fair especially as you can't prove that the damage was there when you collected the van, sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

We always have one of those small cotton twill 'dirt grabber' door mats with the rubberised backing between our cab seats, that way if we get in through the front cab doors and go through between the seats into the rear, our feet are wiped clean.

• 2 months later...

A couple of days ago I lifted up the cab carpet and noticed the ali. cover strip over the joint between the cab and conversion was loose ( a screw had pulled thro due to an oversize countersink) took the other fixing screw out, removed the cover strip and noticed a tear in the rubber cab floor (Hidden by the cover strip) The cab floor is very flexible in this area, the area you must walk on to move from the driving position to enter the conversion. The under floor insulation offers very little support to normal foot traffic and is too flexible. The tear occurs within 25mm of the cab/conversion joint and may be under the cover strip, if fitted. I thought I had seen a previous report on this site. Dealer thinks it's a "one off" as usual.

Chris

Had a similar problem on our Swift Sundance (2006) We found the floor to be very soft between the seats.(This was when new) Told Marquis about it, and they put some reinforcement under.I believe they had a template (will have to ask husband) already, and had done same on other vans !

Could be part of their PDI. Still a bit soft, but much better now

Archived