Led Bulbs

They are available from the 25th, not the 28th. The link is:

http://tinyurl.com/6xogpf

But note that these bulbs give a VERY focussed beam of light and you have to hold the book you're reading right in the beam. There is no spread as there is with an ordinary halogen filament lamp. At less than 1 amp consumption, I'd go for the latter any day. After all, you only need under 2 amps if 2 of you are reading at the same time - for 3 hours in the eveing, that's under 6 amp hours. Hardly a huge drain on your batteries!

Mel E

====

Although the Lidl-marketed LED bulbs are advertised as being tight-focussed, wider angle versions are (as Clive says) easily available.

I changed all 6 of my Hobby's reading-lights' MR16-type halogen bulbs to LED equivalents bought via the Ultraleds website and I don't regret doing so. If your motorhome has limited leisure-battery capacity and you regularly camp off-site, it's nice to know that, with LED-bulb lighting, you can have all the interior lights on simultaneously and not worry too much about flattening the battery.

However, it is important to ensure, when choosing LED replacements for original bulbs, that the new bulbs produce a beam-pattern, light output and light colour that will be acceptable. If you end up with lights that are dismally dim, or produce a beam-pattern that will set fire to the book you are reading, or require welding goggles to protect your eyes from the hideous white glare, then you'll have wasted your money. My own feeling is that it's always best to opt for 'warm white', but that's a personal preference.

Mel E - 2008-08-18 10:28 PM

They are available from the 25th, not the 28th. The link is:

http://tinyurl.com/6xogpf

But note that these bulbs give a VERY focussed beam of light and you have to hold the book you're reading right in the beam. There is no spread as there is with an ordinary halogen filament lamp. At less than 1 amp consumption, I'd go for the latter any day. After all, you only need under 2 amps if 2 of you are reading at the same time - for 3 hours in the eveing, that's under 6 amp hours. Hardly a huge drain on your batteries!

Mel E

Hi mel E

Sorry I got the dates wrong ! But I do think that if you can save a bit of juice its a little bit kinder to your leisure battery.

As a matter of interest I have done a bit of a test, My Motorhome has a control panel that you can tell how many Amps you are using and I tested the system today, With all four reading lights on ( LED's ) 0.4 Amps, the spot light above sink and cooker ( Halogen ) 1.1 Amps, Door light above habitation entrance ( Halogen ) 1.9 Amps

So I think it proves that LED's are worth buying, I also agree with Derek that the soft white are the best buy.

As you have now gathered I am a big fan of LED's, I have had the same LED stop and tail lights in three Motorhomes ( keep swopping them ) so I think you will find they outlast convential bulbs

Terry

====

:$ :$

Archived