maplin solar panel

Champstar

I must be doing it wrong. I looked at Maplins web site and the 60 watt panel is £399. The stand extra???

At £199 for a proper sealed panel I suggest you get two and glue them to the roof. You will probably get away with just one if you don,t have a diesel heater and your TV is LCD and its mid summer.

C.

Clive - 2008-08-19 4:02 PM

I must be doing it wrong. I looked at Maplins web site and the 60 watt panel is £399. The stand extra???

At £199 for a proper sealed panel I suggest you get two and glue them to the roof. You will probably get away with just one if you don,t have a diesel heater and your TV is LCD and its mid summer.

C.

They have two ranges Clive - "Solar Panel Kits" which are crystalline cell panels and cheaper "Solar Power Stations" of which the 60W kit contains "4 x 15W amorphous weatherproof solar panels", which (according to the FAQs) are not suitable for permanent mounting.

Graham

Hi Champstar,

With a power consumption like yours (re - soaps etc..), I found that one 110amp/hr battery and one 80watt panel was more than enough in the summer, solar power was thown away after about 1300hrs, i.e. battery charged from the previous evenings power consumption.

In Autumn one 110amp battery wasn't enough, so fitted another and so far it seems to be holding up although, we only every stopped in Autumn for two days before moving on, the batteries then being topped up by the alternator.

It will be interesting seeing what happens over the next fortnight, as we are spending three nights then four further nights on sites with no power. The four night stopover will have to support Christmas Lights.

Yes - Christmas Lights in the first few days of September as it is the theme of this years National Festival of Lights :-D

If you always want power, then I think two 80watt panels and at least two 110amp/hr batteries is required, you don't have to buy them all at once - I mean Chhristmas is just round the corner (lol) (name and address supplied) ;-)

Let me have your Name & Address as I may fly up to the north pole soon

Regards Terry B-)

Archived