autocruise versus autosleeper rear lounges

LORNA

Depending on which model of Auto-Sleeper you have in mind, the monocoque models are inherently less prone to water ingress problems than conventional coachbuilts, as they have no joins between body panels. Autocruise are conventionally built. Also, aftersales service from auto-Sleepers is better, in my experience, than that from Autocruise, judging from posts on this forum.

My Sister had/has an Autosleeper from new, the window seals after a few years started to let in water, it's a common fault and expensive to fix too.

Now the Autocruise - I've had three in eight years have been water tight, apart from a fitter doing something he shouldn't on a brand new model in 2001.

I don't particularly like the end lounges, as alot of space is lost when you cannot use the Sun lounge, as it is not incorporated into the living area being divided by and kept seperate by either the washroom or/and the wardrobe.

Besides sleeping up at the end of the motorhome, is a bit isolated when someone is breaking into the Sun lounge (cab doors).

Regards Terry.

Thanks for the info Terry - hadn't heard about the window seals on Autosleepers being a problem! When you talk about the rear lounge being a space issue, didn't quite visualise what you meant - what is the sun lounge you refer to? Like the idea of single/double options of rear lounges and sitting in them, they seem comfier than a lot of similar sized vans with lounging nearer the front. Would be interested in your views and experiences! Regards, Lorna

Hi Lorna,

I was a bit obtuse in my descriptions about a Sun Lounge - sorry

My Autocruise Stargazer is centre saloon/lounge, the sofa's each side are 6' long, we refer to the two cab seats as in our Sun Lounge, the seats swivel to face the central lounge, when you are sitting in them, it's just like a sun lounge with the windows streaming the sunshine and giving panoramic views all round - lovely :-D

The sofa's convert very easily to either individual single beds or a massive double bed, ideal for that afternoon nap too.

Have a look at link http://www.autocruise.co.uk/star-range/stargazer

The bathroom is massive compared with the Autosleeper, and the kitchen is fully equiped.

Hope above is helpful - Regards Terry

I wonder if we are comparing like with like ie length/weight. I have an Autosleeper Ravenna (my second) - just under 6 metres. No water ingress. Good build. 2.8 tdi engine that sails along - esp in this weather !I go for end lounge every time (having experienced both layouts).

We like the rear lounge but kitchen has a lack of readily available dropping spaces/work tops. No room for two persons in the kitchen. It is a long way to bring the bedding from our storage space in the luton roof, back to the lounge area to make up the bed. The bathroom door opens into the standing area in front of the cooker, which can be a bit dodgey. Otherwise no complaints about the Autosleeper Legend, the main good points are the rear wheel drive Ford Transit and aerodinamic body.

Sorry - pressed the wrong button! I had intended to carry on to say that I had a discussion with my caravan serviceman recently on the subject of water ingress when he was carrying out my habitation check and he says it is essential to keep checking conventionally built 'vans for leaks at the seams, in addition to round any openings. He found no problems on my 12 year old Talisman.

Thanks for the debate - useful points made about both makes and layouts. Is there any significant difference between Autocruise/Autosleeper depreciation rates? Used Autosleepers do seem more expensive - is this deserved reputation or customer base?

Autosleepers of the monocoque GRP construction hold their price very well because of the way they are built. No joints to leak, no wood frames to rot, very streamlined so slip through the air like greased lightning, so good consumption, very little wind noise, easy to clean, good solid caravan door. Best 'van I ever owned. But that is only my opinion..........

Hello Lorna. We had a Legend and now have a Rienza. Agree with Ranger, the Legend was a great van. Can't think of anything that we disliked about it. Nice big windows in the rear lounge to look at the scenery. Seats / beds very comfortable. Well built and easy to look after. Didn't have any problems with window seals. Would probably still have it now but we were putting too much mileage on it!

If I can be any more help please let me know.

Carol

I understand your question re the different makes, but do consider the base vehicle. autocruise only on FIAT, Autosleeper you have a choice of Ford as well in their ASCOT or WILTON models. Look at the forum comments re FIAT, I bought 08 model on Fiat and now have Ford based Autosleeper.

Good hunting and good luck with your final choice

Mike

Hi Mike, from your comment it sems your purchase of a Fiat base was not a success and you changed to the Ford. I have heard consistently good things about Ford bases and less than good about Fiat. I think I have heard that the Peugeot Boxer base is also a Fiat under another name. Does this mean it has the same problems as the Fiat? Thanks for all the advice and experiences, Lorna

Hi Carol, have you any opinions or experience of the Autosleeper Inca rear lounge version? Saw one briefly at a dealer's in the Spring and was very impressed. Needless to say it got sold and haven't seen another one for sale since! Thanks for your advice so far, Lorna

Hi Lorna, yes Peaugeot have problems, Fiat/Peaugeot/Citroen are collectively known as SEVEL vehicles as they all come from the same SEVEL factory in Italy. Please look at Andy Stothert's 2nd posting on " Major Fiat/Peaugeot/Citroen problems/reversing Judder" this runs to five pages. The original thread was replaced by this one as it 'the original' ran to 26 pages.

Andy is on, I believe his 3rd gearbox.

Personally I would not even consider a SEVEL Fiat/Peaugeot/Citroen, and if after reading the thread that I have recommended you choose one of these effected latest base vehicles, you will have done so with full knowlege of the possible consequences.

Happy Hunting

Regards Mike :-D

Lorna, We have owned two Autocruise vans. The first was a 2001 Stardream with a rear lounge and the bed was a bit of a chore to make. It suited us very well in almost all respects but it had had one disadvantage. If one had to go to the loo during the night (who doesn't?) it disturbs the other occupant as one sleeps across the width of the van. Therefore the forward occupant is disturbed by the call: 'Are you awake?' The response is: 'I am now!'. We had the Stardream for 6 years but we then decided to buy a 2007 Starburst which has met all our expectations regarding sleeping arrangements and lounging. Although it is possible to arrange a large double bed across the van we opt for two singles for a better nights sleep. Apart from the water ingress and juddering in reverse we could not wish for a better layout and specification. There again what suits us may not suit others but the Starburst was not voted MMM van of the year for nothing! One other factor is that a mid-lounge provides more under-bed storage within the wheelbase which helps load distribution returning from France with the wine!

Hi Ranger

I agree with your recommendation of the Legend. We bought one last year and are extremely pleased with it. It's on a Ford Transit 2.5 diesel automatic and my only real complaint is that it seems a bit underpowered and it's difficult to get much more than 22 miles from a gallon (although it does help if I keep a light right foot!). what is your consumption?

Regards, John

LORNA,

Whatever you do, don't rush to a descision. Have a good look at different vans and make up the beds and try them. If you have singles in a rear lounge the lounge seats will need to be around 6 foot long. The Starburst gets the bed length in the forward lounge by having the front seats fully forward and an infill fitted each side. This means, of course that you can't use the front seats when the bed is made up but it means you get suitably long beds in a van which can then be about 1 foot shorter, saving weight,etc. Two single beds take less than a minute to arrange. I am not an Autocruise salesman but we love our van layout.

Archived