Retractable Step

bertyboy

I have just noticed that my retractable step no longer retracts automatically when starting the engine. I have checked fuses on Energy Management System which is an EBL 208 S. I have also checked fuses in the Ducato cab section set in the dashboard on the passenger side and the driver side. I have also checked the fuse box under the bonnet the one with the the relays covered in the loose plastic cover. The vehicle is an Adria 680SL on the Ducato 2.3td. Can anyone help please (!)

I had the same trouble with my Omni Step in France in May. However, on return to the UK it started working again. Put it down to the change of air! But I suspect there must be a loose wire/fuse/relay somewhere but haven't found it yet. Probably one of George Collins' famous gremlins.

I had to smile when I saw this thread. I have just returned home after being away with the van for a week during which time the electric step failed to retract each time the engine was turned on. So today I set about to check the fuse which had been the cause of a previous failure. And guess what, the step retracted beautifully without my having to take any remedial action! I put it down to the shaking the van got on the travel home along a very rough road surface in Liverpool. It must have shaken the gremlins off.

The fuse box for my step is in the engine compartment and I understand that it is an add-on by the converter(SWIFT) and is not Fiat installed. Which is the reason why I couldn't locate the fuse from reading the Fiat manual.

bertyboy:

I shall assume your Adria's step is made by Omnistor (as they usually are nowadays).

Based on my own non-automatic-retraction Omnistor step's wiring-diagram, electrical power for step operation requires a 20A fused connection between a 12V battery (presumably this would normally be the motorhome's leisure battery) and the step's manual operating switch. There is then a simple '2-way' connection between switch and step. As I understand your posting, it's still possible to extend/retract your step manually via that switch, so the fault doesn't appear to lie with the basic wiring circuit or the fuse.

Automatic step-retraction when the motorhome's motor is started involves a secondary wiring circuit that includes a supplementary relay activated when the vehicle's ignition-switch is turned on. There's no indication in my Omnistor's wiring-diagram that another fuse is used to protect the wiring between the vehicle's ignition-switch circuit and the relay, or to protect the cable between that relay and the manual switch, so the likelihood is that the relay itself has developed a fault or, (as Malcolm suggests) there's a loose or poor connection somewhere within the secondary circuit.

I'd be tempted to check the connection to the ignition-switch circuit first as, if that's not passing current to the relay when the ignition-switch is operated, then the step certainly won't retract on its own. Be particularly wary if snap-lock ("Scotchlock") cable connectors have been used as these are notoriously unreliable. No idea where Adria might have sited the supplementary relay, but I'd guess it might be close to the step's manual operating switch.

Lots of useful information on:

http://www.omnistor.com/gb/service/servicemenu.php

Thanks a lot Derek

I will explore further on the basis of your information and see what can be found who knows if I wiggle enough wires it may jump into action. Thanks for the link will go there now. :->

Age is high price to pay for maturity.

I have a variation on this theme.

The Omni Step is not operating on my Bessacarr (waiting to get it in for warranty repair) It is mounted for nearside cab access.

I had a problem with the leisure battery (cell failed) and blew the 20Amp in-line fuse. This coincided with the Step failure.

Had a new leisure battery fitted under warranty, but it is not charging via the Van when running or on electric hook-up. I have recharged it using a seperate charger and it is holding, so I think it's down to either the Omnistep dragging high current discharge and the Van charger unit not working as all the fuses have been checked OK.

I think I will have to fit Mud flaps behind the front wheels as the Step is directly in line to collect all the spray.

Anyone experienced similar problems ?

Archived