Fresh water cap design

libby

libby - 2008-08-19 11:19 PM

Is there a 3 legged gadget on sale anywhere that fits into the 3 recesses of the cap face and makes the doing & undoing of the cap easier.

If there's nothing available I can organise a shape for production.

LB

We made our cap a lot easier to open by smearing a bit of olive oil on the 'mating' surfaces.

:-|

I do not know if there is such a design, but if you are finding opening the cap difficult are you sure that you are opening it correctly?

I had to be shown how to do it and the trick is that you press the cap in whilst turning it. Before I was shown this simple method, I found the cap difficult to turn.

Much better is the desgin of cap fitted to the current model of Autosleeper Duetto which unlocks easily just with the key. Even better, the key cannot be taken out when the cap is unlocked, so you are not going to put the cap down and drive off without it.

Sounds to me like you may have the same problem I had - cap starts off being difficult to remove and eventually becomes impossible, in my case because a little plastic nib inside the lock made the cap just revolve as if it was locked. May be worth your while buying a replacement cap & lock (about £16) rather than be left with a jammed cap - you may like to read Wirralians post about water cap lock which is currently on here!

little jack

There is a fairly wide variety of leisure-vehicle fresh-water filler-points and the filler-caps don't all interchange. For example, my Hobby's filler-cap differs in design from libby's and is much more 'grippable'. Forum comments (and personal experience) suggest that cap locking-mechanisms are not wonderfully reliable and cap leak-proneness is pretty commonplace.

My Hobby's locking filler-cap initially refused to rotate freely when locked and, consequently, wouldn't seal properly (mysteriously emptying the water tank as a result when the motorhome was driven). I disassembled it and, after hacking at its insides with a Stanley knife, it eventually agreed to rotate correctly when locked. I also plentifully sprayed its interior and rubber sealing-washer with silicone lubricant. The cap subsequently fell apart in my hand as I was hurriedly removing it at a French aire de services, but the bits reassembled OK and have stayed together since. Nowadays I treat the cap with considerable TLC and it seems to appreciate this.

To open the Hobby's filler cap involves inserting the key and turning it anti-clockwise to the 'unlocked' position. This action causes the bits within the cap to clasp themselves amorously together. Then the cap is depressed and, while depressed, turned anti-clockwise so that it disengages from the filler-point itself.

Replacing the cap involves first ensuring that it's still 'locked', then inserting it into the filler-point. The cap is depressed and turned clockwise to cause its rear 'lugs' to engage with the filler-point's moulding. The cap is then turned further clockwise until it's evident that it has gone as far as it should (ie. it will have 'clicked' into its final position and you can't turn it any further). The key is turned clockwise (which causes the bits within the cap to release their fervent embrace on each other) and removed. The cap then rotates freely in either direction, preventing it from being unscrewed from the filler-point.

My own feeling is that, (unless you've got a physical problem with your hands) if a motorhome's filler-cap is proving hard to manipulate then it either needs lubrication or there's something wrong with it that will demand surgery or replacement. Should replacement prove unavoidable, it may be possible to transfer the lock-barrel between old and new cap: otherwise you'll have to put up with having a key specific to the water filler-cap. Resorting to a leverage-increasing device invites a broken cap mechanism - inevitably at the most inconvenient moment. There is a place for such gadgets - I made one to assist in removing the access cap on the top of my Hobby's fresh-water tank - but you shouldn't really need one to remove a motorhome's water filler-cap.

Funny things water filler caps.

From new mine was a dream to use - until I foolishly got it wet.....

I've tried everything and the only solution seems to be a few hours in a very warm place. It's then ok for quite a while or until it gets wet again. I'd love to know what is inside this mystery but daren't take it to bits yet. I've added silicone lubricant sparingly and that has also helped; it probably helps keep the water out too. *-)

Archived