What preparations do you make for going abroad?

davenewellhome

Well pretty much as it says in the title really. On Saturday we leave for a fortnight touring in Holland and Germany so this afternoon I've been preparing the motorhome. I've given it a thorough clean out and gone through all of the cupboards. I don't see any point in carrying lots of site guides for the UK when we will only spend about three days of the next two weeks here. Likewise I've removed the dog's lead and bed from the motorhome (I didn't organise his pet passport in time :$ :$ :$ :-( so he's staying at home with number one son). I also found about a dozen tea towels which are most definitely not required, three or four will be enough!

So my question is does anyone else bother to remove non essential items before a long trip or do you just go as you are?

D.

As I was normaly using van for every day transport for 10 years I had to make a balence between carrying unessasary weight and being ready to go asap, mind you I'm not one for taking a lot on holiday anyway. So the van was always set up for one night away less water and food, then add if nessasary for more time away, never have carried more than two tea towels :D

Yes Dave I took the carpets out and the hoover as they have press studs and replaced with just a door mat and runner so I could just give a quick shake.

I know people say why take lots of food when you can buy it there!! well I wished Id taken more of the things we like! its alright if you plan to eat out a lot but having the dog I ended up cooking most meals for the 6 weeks we were away and I did find it hard! the blokes on here are going to scoff :-S but the shops in Holland Germany and France Do sell different to here! mind you I never thought I would be doing most of my shopping in lidl and Aldi *-) I only use them infrequently for food at home mainly because I cant get all that I want.

Apart from that we had a great time and we found the people very friendly and we will certainly be going again. And the Cruise Control was a well worth buy it made it much more relaxing for John (I dont drive the MH).

Have a good time Im sure you will.

maggyd - 2008-08-20 10:06 PM

And the Cruise Control was a well worth buy it made it much more relaxing for John (I dont drive the MH).

Wouldn't it make it more relaxing if you drove, or maybe not >:-)

When I say load up with food, I should say we only load for a few day's,buy the rest on holiday, thats part of the experience esp. when abroad.

Check the oil and water, check the tyre pressures, grab the passports and vehicle documentation, the plastic, the Mrs and go. Oh, the checklist for the camper is comprehensive but most else you can purchase if you forget it. If its a flying visit then we take out things like the safari Room but other than that we go fully loaded most places.

Probably see you next Thursday or Friday then Dave.

C.

I usually go through the van and check that I need the things that are in it every now and then--we usually accumulate quite a lot of junk in quite a short time.

Before we go abroad I'll usually check that I've got the maps and guides for where we are going and remove any others.

For an abroad holiday the tv comes out--no satellite system, see, but I'll make sure the MP3 players and chargers are in.

The ordinary chairs come out and the loungers go in.

I'll check the fishing gear to make sure that all the bits I want are present and correct.

I also make sure that we have a good stock of Cheddar cheese, peanut butter and Marmite. herself does the same with gravy granules.

Double check that the bottle opener is in and make sure there is penty of duck tape aboard.

Now we would find a dozen tea towels about right.

Guest JudgeMental

Its Duct tape not duck tape lol

you know... as used in air conditioning/ ventilation installations in commercial buildings. it's funny that so many call it duck tape :-D

breakdown insurance, all vehicle documents or copies. have you medical insurance? check your home insurance you may well be covered.

If you read, bring more then you think you need. I read a book in a couple of days when away - one a week here.....

My son likes peanut butter and crunchy not available in Europe.....and some baked beans of course!

We would have gone to Düsseldorf, but this year trade/press day is the Friday. So we would only have one day the Saturday as need to get back on the Sunday. one day not enough for such a large show......

Being retired I can afford the time to prepare, so....

Thorough vehicle and habitation equipment check.

Research any special requirements/risks for each country on the Foreign Office's and Avis' (Driving Guides) websites and in the CC Europe books. Thoroughly research all planned stopping places and sites to minimise risk and maximise fun.

Obtain weather forecast for 8 days ahead for each expected stop over, cross checked with Travel Guide website's seasonal averages.

Unload and then re-load van with kit to suit expected conditions plus emergencies etc. Re-load van in reverse order of need so that stuff comes readily to hand as it's required during the trip.

Make up indexed document wallets and place in vehicle safe and hide back up photo-copies of key documents elsewhere. Double check all documents and foreign currency. Check emergency reserve of sterling. Check all maps, guides etc on board for each country as well as sat-nav. Check sat nav set to remind me to drive on right for each country as appropriate.

Notify bank to expect foreign currency transactions on credit/debit cards.

Ensure passports and tickets fall immediately to hand ready for ferry/train.

Check wife is on board.

Set off then just like everybody else think "Did I turn the gas off?"!

Have a great time Dave.

Bob :-)

Usinmyknaus - 2008-08-21 9:20 AM

Bob :-)

You must have spent some times in the army!

That's what I call belt and braces.

I've printed your post to remind me of what I have do before I hit the road...Thanks.

Don't know which ferry you are on Dave, but I suggest you freeze a couple of bottles of milk / and/or water in your freezer, then put them in your van fridge just before you go. This keeps everything nice and cold if your fridge is going to be off for some time on the ferry.

Have a safe trip.

Hi Malc and Martyn, thanks for that ;-) . We're going over on the Harwich to Hook of Holland crossing midnight sunday so fridge will be off for 8 hours. We plan to take very little in the fridge, just enough to manage Saturday and Sunday then restock on Monday morning in Holland.

D.

I do pretty much the same as Robert (my bookkeeper mentality I'm told!) - but had never thought of keeping copy documents hidden away - OH will flip if he knows I've done that too.... >:-)

OH usually gives general required route, gets keys, deals with electric cables, water, tools etc, hitches up Smart car and drives! Woe betide me if I've forgotten something (usually the bottle opener!)

Have a great time Dave B-)

JudgeMental - 2008-08-20 10:58 PM

Its Duct tape not duck tape lol

you know... as used in air conditioning/ ventilation installations in commercial buildings. it's funny that so many call it duck tape :-D

Ah my Duck tape is Duck Duct tape cause its got a Duck on it, on the other hand the other roll I assume is DuctDuct tape cause it hasn't (a Duck)

WOT WE DOES !

If the house / flat is not inhabited,

Turn off the stop cock,

Turn down but not, off the Central heating,

Put lights and even a radio on time switches

Put a roll of duck or Duct tape in the M/home cause you never know when it will come in handy.

RGds

:-)

When we return from abroad I usually strip the van as the next trip will be in the UK with the grandchildren and the requirements are totally different - for a start off, the luton becomes a bed and the book lockers disappear in the process. This then gets reversed at the end of the school holidays, ready for the next trip to the Continent. All the "stuff" normally carried in the luton goes back in (no list, just transfer the pile in the garage to the'van). Then in go the books purchased in the proceeding weeks from the local charity shops, plus maps and guides for anywhere we might go - the latter all depends on the weather at the time. We leave for France in 2 weeks time but have still not decided which way to turn when we come off the Shuttle, or even, maybe, go straight on! I will then look at the "seasonal" pile of "stuff" in the loft - fans, hot water bottles and the like - which may not have been on the last Continental trip, and load as required. After a last shopping trip, in go Marmite, tea etc. and a couple of days supply of food. Similarly with the medicines. Finally load the bag with the documents and Euros, the laptop, check tyres, oil and water and we are ready for off. I have forgotten to mention the switch round of the gas bottles. For a winter trip such as this one it will be Calor propane (on the basis od Dave's reply to my weight question I have just come back from exchanging my nearly empty cylinder for one of the Calorlite ones) and a French Le Cube propane. In summer it would be Camping Gaz plus Le Cube, especially if we might venture into Italy or Spain. Oh yes, we also pack the clothes, those needed later in the trip in the luton and others in the wardrobe. We always leave the emergency copies of documents in the 'van at all times. We have not found that the ½ hour or so we spend on the Shuttle is a problem for the fridge.

After reading Brians post just remembered the one item we stock up on for entire trip abroad, Tea, and that also applies if we are flying anywhere, gf gets very grumpy if forced to drink Liptons that seems to be the only type you get abroad

For you, Dave, headlamp converters, and take original V5C and insurance cert (copies not acceptable for presentation to plod). 

Keep the dog lead and a dog bowl in the van, just to leave outside when parked.  Put bowl on ground by door, with water in bowl, and leave lead looped somewhere obvious, round step brackets maybe.  I was told this is a very effective anti-burglar device - by someone who said he always uses it, and has never been robbed! :-)

The others have said the rest.  Just remember to keep right, and have a good time.

we usually carry copies of all relevant documentation and instructions, water bottles, coffee, dried milk, tea bags n sugar, change of clothes and copy CDs.

Hi vis jackets, warning triangles, tool kit, first aid kit, batteries, torch, binoculars bird books, pots pans kettle, duc[?] tape, velcro, safety pins, pen paper, bum wipes n nappy bags, electric leads.

Then add original documents, tins of potato, sauces, beans, chunky steak, tuna, real milk, butter, olive oil, clothes, sleeping stuff, shoes, maps n camping books.

Sort of .. .. .. ..

B-)

PS we're off to the Netherlands [i think] in a couple of weeks - well, were going Hull - Europort n coming back Europort - Hull a couple of weeks later ?? :-> :->

We are off on Sunday (dover - Calais) and then a slow meander for me and er to get to Dusseldorf on the Tuesday of the show (week ends are very VERY busy).

Following the show we will be going down to Bernkastle - Kues for the wine festival (Our opinion - the best fest).

As we will not be coming back to the UK till mid October we have packed clothes for all weathers (It can get well chilly in the Ahr valley ((red wine fests)) in October.

The back locker (second garage) is full of Cheerios, for the manager, as it is rare to see the ordinary cheerios in the rest of Europe (usually only have the honey type and that wont do for the boss).

As the stock of Cheerios goes down it leaves room for all the "bargains" we buy in Lidl and Aldi.

Brian Kirby - 2008-08-22 7:02 PM

For you, Dave, headlamp converters, and take original V5C and insurance cert (copies not acceptable for presentation to plod).

Keep the dog lead and a dog bowl in the van, just to leave outside when parked. Put bowl on ground by door, with water in bowl, and leave lead looped somewhere obvious, round step brackets maybe. I was told this is a very effective anti-burglar device - by someone who said he always uses it, and has never been robbed! :-)

The others have said the rest. Just remember to keep right, and have a good time.

Thanks Brian, I have all original docs safely stowed in a not obvious place. As for the dog lead and bowl, good point, I'll re-instate them tomorrow just before we leave for Holland.Fully intending to have a bl00dy good time :D :D ,D.

Archived