LOTSCHBERG TUNNEL

DENBOY

Hi folks

has any one used the lotschberg rail tunnel at Kandesteg? Does it attract lots of hgv's to get stuck behind? what I'm looking for is a pretty route from Basel to the Milan/garda area and am not too bothered about the time scale. Plan to set off early september on a 4-6 week tour of Italy.

Thanks dennis

Guest JudgeMental

Not heard of this route, we use the main st gothard tunnel route to Milan and on to Garda....

on the way home a couple of weeks ago, had a look at going to go over the sustenpass to interlaken... but bottled it! lol

We got held up behind an artic lorry which had managed to jam himself in tight in one of the many tunnels up the left hand side route up lake Garda. a route to avoid in a motorhome unless you have very big cajoles :-D

DENBOY - 2008-08-21 11:13 AM

Hi folks

has any one used the lotschberg rail tunnel at Kandesteg? Does it attract lots of hgv's to get stuck behind? what I'm looking for is a pretty route from Basel to the Milan/garda area and am not too bothered about the time scale. Plan to set off early september on a 4-6 week tour of Italy.

Thanks dennis

Hi Dennis,

We have used the Lotschberg tunnel from Kandersteg to Goppenstein but not since the new tunnel was opened in June 2007 see http://tinyurl.com/5atohy

There were coaches on the train but I'm not sure if they take HGV's on the route.

It's a very nice route up to Kandersteg and down from Goppenstein.

You can also go from Kandersteg to Brig as well.

Don

We used it last year with just the car, not sure I would attempt to take my caravan on it. There was not enough room for me to open my car door unlike Eurotunnel. There seems no facility for vehicles to access the new tunnel at Frutigen so I assume that they don't intend to use the new tunnel for vehicles. Has anyone got more information?

David

Klyne - 2008-08-21 3:03 PM

We used it last year with just the car, not sure I would attempt to take my caravan on it. There was not enough room for me to open my car door unlike Eurotunnel. There seems no facility for vehicles to access the new tunnel at Frutigen so I assume that they don't intend to use the new tunnel for vehicles. Has anyone got more information?

David

Hi David,

I scrapped the mirrors on the Timberland by not paying attention. The coaches were going on and off very slowly.

It appears the new tunnel is a high speed rail link only see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6tschberg_Base_Tunnel for details.

Don

Don Madge - 2008-08-21 7:11 PM

Klyne - 2008-08-21 3:03 PM

David

Hi David,

I scrapped the mirrors on the Timberland by not paying attention. The coaches were going on and off very slowly.

It appears the new tunnel is a high speed rail link only see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%B6tschberg_Base_Tunnel for details.

Don

Don

At the moment that seems to be the case but some further reading suggested that when a couple more stages of the tunnel are completed it may well be used to transport vehicles. Given the cost and complexities of the project that could be a while yet. Mind you it would really be useful as it would cut out some serious climbs either side of the old tunnel!

David

I went through the tunnel last year when the Susten Pass etc were still closed because of snow. We were not allowed to get on the first train out, the staff said it was too small for our M/H, but the next one was bigger. We did not have to wait long for the next one and I drew my waist in while making my way gingerly along the carriages. There was plenty of room really as long as you take it slowly.

As David mentioned you can't open the doors once on board, you wouldn't really want to as it's pitch black going through the tunnel at what seemed like 100mph and only an inch from the rock face.

Very interesting and quite exciting, I'm not sure that I would want to do it again though.

Phil. :-D

Philman - 2008-08-21 9:13 PM

I went through the tunnel last year when the Susten Pass etc were still closed because of snow. We were not allowed to get on the first train out, the staff said it was too small for our M/H, but the next one was bigger. We did not have to wait long for the next one and I drew my waist in while making my way gingerly along the carriages. There was plenty of room really as long as you take it slowly.

As David mentioned you can't open the doors once on board, you wouldn't really want to as it's pitch black going through the tunnel at what seemed like 100mph and only an inch from the rock face.

Very interesting and quite exciting, I'm not sure that I would want to do it again though.

Phil. :-D

Phil

Its interesting what you say about a bigger train. I know several people who have taken their caravans on the train and I can't work out how they did it despite seeing photos of them on the train! Getting on Eurotunnel is easy! On the Lotschberg website they show the profiles of the transporters and they look OK, perhaps I am not brave enough!

David

Guest JudgeMental

So was I wrong to chicken out of taking route over Sustenpass a couple of weeks ago? lol

I have a 6.6 m long 3 m high van and would like to take this route next year.

There are supposed to be some nice sites at Interlaken, any recommendations?

I have been over the passes in my van several times. It's really worth it. The views are magnificent. I think there are 5 passes in all and you have a choice of which ones to use between, say Brig and Interlaken.

They are all closed for quite a few months in the winter. I think they are generally open between May and October, weather permitting. The Rhone Glacier is very nice ( major understatement ). Some of the roads were copied from the Scalextric brochure.

My van is just over 6 m and 3m high only a 1.9 engine so had to slow down on some of the 1 in 4 hills. :-D :-D

Phil.

JudgeMental - 2008-08-22 8:06 PM

There are supposed to be some nice sites at Interlaken, any recommendations?

We had intended to use a campsite at Kandersteg but missed the turning and nearly ended up at the toll booth for the tunnel! I managed to turn round but its not so easy to get back into Kandersteg so we went down to Frutigen and stayed here http://www.davidklyne.plus.com/camping_grassi.htm

It does not really answer your question about Interlarken but its a nice campsite run by nice people and the town is in walking distance.

David

We've used the route from Basle, Zurich, Bad ragaz, Klosters, Davos, Zernez, Merano to Bolzano but not sure when the Fluelapass or the Olenpass are effected by snow as we've only used the route in July to v early Sept.

But its a lovely area and varies from motorway to alpine passes but relatively easy going, not many hairpins from memory, there's a v pleasant campsite in Zernez as well. If its still open you could also have a look at the Stelvio, now there are some hairpins on that!!

alan

Archived