Switzerland

Peter Pan

Peter Pan - 2008-08-22 9:43 AM

We are off to Switzerland in a couple of weeks time. I am wondering what to do about cash. Are Euros readily acceptable in shops or do I need to buy Swiss francs? Any advice welcome.

:-S

Haven't been there lately but I read on another forum that some places (but not all) accept euros - but only notes, not coins.

Also your change will be in Swiss Francs.

Seems only polite to pay them in their own currency ;-)

Guest JudgeMental
malc d - 2008-08-22 9:51 AM

Peter Pan - 2008-08-22 9:43 AM

We are off to Switzerland in a couple of weeks time. I am wondering what to do about cash. Are Euros readily acceptable in shops or do I need to buy Swiss francs? Any advice welcome.

:-S

Haven't been there lately but I read on another forum that some places (but not all) accept euros - but only notes, not coins.

Also your change will be in Swiss Francs.

Seems only polite to pay them in their own currency ;-)

You will genrally need swiss francs... Best way, from a bank cash machine using a Nationwide debit card. You get commercial rate NOT tourist rate and no charges :-D

By example: in France/Italy we got 1.26 and if you bought your euro's here before going it was approx 1.20

We were there last year and you will need Swiss Francs. You can usually buy things like the motorway vignette with euros and pay for some rail tunnels. We found we could also use a credit card in the supermarkets but only Mastercard and yet the filling station outside the supermarket accepted Visa!

David

Just back from Switzerland and you can use euros in loads of outlets now, even in small mountain resorts, if your overloaded with them! The Swiss are not slow in finding ways of relieving you of your money and having only one other currency, in the main, to now convert, it makes sense to do it. Apart from that the advice already given on Nationwide is the best alternative I know of.

Guest JudgeMental
ron. - 2008-08-23 10:52 AM

Peter

Where are you heading for? If it's the Brit's favourite of the Interlaken area I have a guide I can email you.

Ran out of time this year and missed Interlaken....would appreciate a copy of your guide. my email is available if you click on my avatar :-D

Ron

To be honest, we have done very little planning for this trip. We have spent the last month searching for a new home so our attention has been elsewhere.

However the bricks & mortar is now sorted out so I am starting to get organised.

We do plan to spend about a week in the Interlaken area, so your guide will be much appreciated. My email is on my profile. I think Grindelburg will be one stop.

My rough itinary at present is to spend the first night in Bruges, then drive to Frieburg for a couple of nights before moving into Switzerland. We do not intend to venture into the southern cantons. We only have 14 nights.

Where is your photo taken? It looks a stunning spot.

Peter

Guest JudgeMental
Minstrel - 2008-08-24 6:50 PM

Ron

Please can I have a copy of the guide as well, we're going next summer.

Thanks

Heather

See you there.... :-D

Thanks again Ron for info and great photos!

Archived