microwave ovens

harry pickin

I'm guessing you wish to use on hook up?

The cheap nukes have servived 8,000+ miles journey (in pakaging)to get to your house so time will tell, unless anyone has other experiances.

I'm a bit puzzled about slow cooker to suit motorhome, they will use about half the current of a nuke and are fairly simple, so I see no problems, but would point out, if you go out and leave a slow cooker in a motorhome the smell of cooking is likely to seep into everything as the inside of a motorhome is small compared to a house.

We have a Hinari Lifestyle slow cooker which is only 180W and works very well in the motorhome. It has a 3.5 ltr capacity and 4 settings, off-low-high-warm. It was from TJHughes and only £12.95. We always leave one of the ceiling vents open a little and we don't get any smells.

Strange that this topic should come up today, as only yesterday I walked passed my local Maplins store and noticed a 12volt microwave in their window. It made me wonder what amperage that would require, particularly on start-up. Should have walked in and asked (but somehow doubt that the staff would know). Anyone know if the engine would need to be run to avoid depleting the battery?

From Road-Pro cat. nuke with 500w output has a 750w input, 65amp.

p.s. their's costs £399.99.

I'm not saying you couldn't or shouldn't, but at that price and current draw it's not high on my list of gadgets when theres gas on board.

Bought a cheap 500w microwave with no turntable 15+ years ago and it's still going strong, having been shaken to death in a caravan most of that time.

No doubt some will survive better than others, but if you don't pay too much it won't matter if it does drop to pieces!

The thing that does seem to kill microwaves is poor positioning that causes overheating, so plan carefully. :-D

everhopeful - 2008-08-22 8:00 PM Bought a cheap 500w microwave with no turntable 15+ years ago and it's still going strong, having been shaken to death in a caravan most of that time. No doubt some will survive better than others, but if you don't pay too much it won't matter if it does drop to pieces! The thing that does seem to kill microwaves is poor positioning that causes overheating, so plan carefully. :-D

The important thing is the door (and other) seals, which keep the microwaves in.  I think your local public health - or maybe trading standards - department is supposed to have a test kit.  Worth a visit, if only to stop your gonads glowing in the dark?  :-)

Brian Kirby - 2008-08-22 7:39 PM

Remoska from Lakeland. Low wattage (500), versatile, and slow.

We have two Remoska's. We bought one for the 'van a couple of years ago and my wife liked it so much we now have a larger one for use at home. Very well made and very economical. As the resident dishwasher, I also find it remarkably easy to clean.

My advice is to buy a cheap lowish wattage mains microwave that will fit in your space and spend most of the dosh on a quality inverter with at least 50% excess capacity compared with the input wattage of tjhe microwave.

Lots of batteries, thick cables, mega solar panels or whatever to keep them charged.

But gas is by far a more sensible option for cooking food.

Charcoal is more sociable.

C.

Archived