Tyre dating

Tony Norton

the date of manufacture date code is between the eu number and the safety warning , so with the EU number at the bottom and going clockwise you will have "Tyre construction details, USA load and pressure requirements, Country of origin, Safety warning then Date of Manufacture, followed by the manufacturers Identity Code (DOT) all in the INNER RIM section of the tyre.

On the outer rim section of the tyre you will have below the EU number the Brand name, followed by Tyre type or pattern code followed by the Tyre size designation and service description (load index and speed symbol).

Thanks to both for your replies,

I have carefully examined all 4 of my tyres and none of them has a DOT number on the outside wall.

Makes me think that they were probably deliberately fitted with the date code on the inside, to hide the fact that they were old stock? Or am I just being my usual cynical self?

It's just that a couple of them are showing signs of cracks in the walls, indicating that, agewise, they are probably ready for changing.

Guess I'll just have to don my overalls, grab a torch, and crawl underneath.

Cheers

Tony N

Hi Tony,

My Michelin XC Camping Tyres don't have a DOT code but have an inscription BLV 1602, I think this means build week 16 year 02, so the tyre manufactured week begining 14th April 2002.

I examined them today in prepration for our coming short trip, and there is the start of a few tiny cracks in the sidewall on all tyres.

Regards Terry

973471691_Date(450x600).jpg.fd6ae59a67a79cc5553d7b1fdf46146e.jpg

Tony Norton - 2008-08-22 6:38 PM

Thanks to both for your replies,

I have carefully examined all 4 of my tyres and none of them has a DOT number on the outside wall.

Makes me think that they were probably deliberately fitted with the date code on the inside, to hide the fact that they were old stock? Or am I just being my usual cynical self?

It's just that a couple of them are showing signs of cracks in the walls, indicating that, agewise, they are probably ready for changing.

Guess I'll just have to don my overalls, grab a torch, and crawl underneath.

Cheers

Tony N

Never mind agewise. If they have cracks in them, they are unservicable. I didn't spot the cracks in mine until I put in my reading glasses to check the pressures. So the moral is, if you wear glasses for reading put them on to check your tyres.

Archived